FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
3x Fish of the Month 🌟
4x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Currently have MTS in my big tank with some assassin's to keep the numbers in check.

I dont really see the MTS as much as id like (there are at least 20 in the tank) although they do a good job with my sand, id like another kind of snail that brings abit of colour and activity to the tank.

Thinking of the ramshorn because their active and colourful.

Can anyone confirm if they eat plants or not pls?

Thanks

Currently have MTS in my big tank with some assassin's to keep the numbers in check.

I dont really see the MTS as much as id like (there are at least 20 in the tank) although they do a good job with my sand, id like another kind of snail that brings abit of colour and activity to the tank.

Thanks
I thought the question was for Deannasue.
I don't see them actively eating plants. I think I have enough other stuff for them to eat!
I used to have a problem with too many rams, pond, and bladder snails. After a while and a LOT of manual removal, and an assassin snail in each tank, and a Dwarf Pea Puffer.

I currently have a snail bubbler bucket just for providing Niblet (Puffer) crunchy food.

Every now and then I will let a Ram grow in the tanks without assassins. They are pretty and get the job done!

I'll try to take notice if they eat plants.

I thought the question was for Deannasue.
I don't see them actively eating plants. I think I have enough other stuff for them to eat!
I used to have a problem with too many rams, pond, and bladder snails. After a while and a LOT of manual removal, and an assassin snail in each tank, and a Dwarf Pea Puffer.

I currently have a snail bubbler bucket just for providing Niblet (Puffer) crunchy food.

Every now and then I will let a Ram grow in the tanks without assassins. They are pretty and get the job done!

I'll try to take notice if they eat plants.
Just asked deanasue because she had mentioned them.

:thanks: for that. i like that they come in random colours and they will bring some more activity to my tank floor. Was just worried about them chopping through my plants

Thanks
I don’t think they would bother with your plants, unless there are dying or decaying leaves then these ill be eaten. Rams will EXPLODE in population though so make sure you keep on top of how many there are.

I don’t think they would bother with your plants, unless there are dying or decaying leaves then these ill be eaten. Rams will EXPLODE in population though so make sure you keep on top of how many there are.
Thought id have that problem with my MTS but with my assassin's and me not over feeding keeps the numbers down.

From what I read they do not usually eat plants but will eat dead leaves. I have one in my shrimp tank with my nerite snails. He came with some moneywort plants I bought. So far he seems to like just going on the glass.

Other members have mentioned ramshorn snails eating healthy plants. Most sources will say they do not, same as the pond, bladder and Malaysian snails, all of which eat organics including decaying vegetation but not healthy plants. But it is worth keeping this in mind. I cannot remember who the member was, or even if it was on here but I believe it was this forum, a year or two back.

Just for interest, a couple weeks back on CorydorasWorld a member posted that he had clear evidence that a large ramshorn-species snail killed a couple of allegedly healthy Corydoras. I can't track this down now, but it would give me pause.

What about nerite(s). They won;t ever get out of control and won't eat plants.

Other members have mentioned ramshorn snails eating healthy plants. Most sources will say they do not, same as the pond, bladder and Malaysian snails, all of which eat organics including decaying vegetation but not healthy plants. But it is worth keeping this in mind. I cannot remember who the member was, or even if it was on here but I believe it was this forum, a year or two back.

Just for interest, a couple weeks back on CorydorasWorld a member posted that he had clear evidence that a large ramshorn-species snail killed a couple of allegedly healthy Corydoras. I can't track this down now, but it would give me pause.
Wow! Ive not got Cory in this tank but thats suprising indeed.

What about nerite(s). They won;t ever get out of control and won't eat plants.
I like Nerite snails but my Assassin's will probably take them out. With the Ramshorn and MTS it wont hurt if that happens.

Last edited:
You wasnt joking about Ramshorns population climbing pretty quick.

Thought id try 3 in my smallest tank which arrived wednesday and after a water change tonight i can already see babe Rams :look:

I
You wasnt joking about Ramshorns population climbing pretty quick.

Thought id try 3 in my smallest tank which arrived wednesday and after a water change tonight i can already see babe Rams :look:
I just was working in my 30 gallon tank that had one ramshorn, Now I count 5 o_O they are all a shade of brown.

I

I just was working in my 30 gallon tank that had one ramshorn, Now I count 5 o_O they are all a shade of brown.
Cant believe it, they are tiny but i can already make out their ramshorn. Almost see through with a pink head. 6 or 7 atleast :hyper: didnt expect them to drop this quick

Yep, they be making babies☺
Just a follow up on if they eat plants...

I have seen Rams on my plants. Sometimes it seems like they are cleaning the leaves, but I wouldn't doubt if they ate them too. I noticed this in a tank that only had snails I wanted to keep in it for example some adult Rams horns and a few Nerites and some plants, so I think basically what's happening is since there are no other creatures in there they may have to be eating the plants.

Regardless, I think if you have them in a tank with fish or other things that are producing waste they will be fine with that. If left without anything I'm pretty sure they will go for plants either decaying or alive.

A good idea if you are up to it is to just remove the eggs that you can see visually for example they may lay eggs on a leaf or often times on the tank walls. I keep some control of those and remove the mass of eggs and the gunk they are in. I did get an assassin snail in every one of my tanks that had snails that I didn't want to keep and the tanks that I have Nerite snails I do not have the assassin snails. That's just what I do.

So to reply if they eat plants or not, apparently yes if there's nothing else to eat, and yes if they get out of control. From my own experience it takes diligence to keep a good balance.

I'm very fond of my Nerites and the few adult Rams I keep in my tanks that do not have Assassin snails. I just keep a really really good eye on them.

Also, my sweet little Niblet takes care of the excess!
20200213_200318.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back