Ramshorn Snail or Nerite?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

myrxn

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys so I want either two Ramshorn Snails or two Nerite Snails. I love ramshorns more they're so cute but I'm worried cuz people say they eat fine plants. If I fed the tank with algae wafers if there were no algae for them to munch would they not then eat the good live plants and just eat the dead/dying ones. I don't know if nerite does that either or if ramshorn snails even do it but I just wanna ask if they do that and if there's a way to prevent it so I can have ramshorns?

I have had pretty good luck with nerite snails not eating the plants, I had one ramshorn snail that also seem pretty good but he tended to break off leaves when climbing plants. @Colin_T is right about nerites not breeding so that is something you should also consider.

Nerites will definitely not eat plants (they're algae eaters), ramshorns shouldn't either tbh but can if they're hungry. I keep pink ramshorns and they've never done any visible damage to my plants, but then again none of my species are particularly delicate. Keep in mind that nerites might leave unsightly eggs all over the tank (and glass) that are almost impossible to remove, but they won't hatch in fresh water. Ramshorns on the other hand will reproduce freely in fresh water and under good conditions you will soon have a stable population in your tank. Nerites will have to be replaced every 1-2 years. Also, nerites have very short bodies so when they accidentally flip themselves over they might have trouble righting themselves on their own; they are also more likely than other species to occasionally venture outside of the tank. Because of this they might require a little more "supervision" than some other snails ;) But tbh it's down to your personal preference/needs.

Nerites will definitely not eat plants (they're algae eaters), ramshorns shouldn't either tbh but can if they're hungry. I keep pink ramshorns and they've never done any visible damage to my plants, but then again none of my species are particularly delicate. Keep in mind that nerites might leave unsightly eggs all over the tank (and glass) that are almost impossible to remove, but they won't hatch in fresh water. Ramshorns on the other hand will reproduce freely in fresh water and under good conditions you will soon have a stable popare ulation in your tank. Nerites will have to be replaced every 1-2 years. Also, nerites have very short bodies so when they accidentally flip themselves over they might have trouble righting themselves on their own; they are also more likely than other species to occasionally venture outside of the tank. Because of this they might require a little more "supervision" than some other snails ;) But tbh it's down to your personal preference/needs.
are there any other snails you'd reccomend?

That's quite small, so you're not left with that many options tbh... freshwater snails don't need much space per se, but they can be real poop machines, especially the big ones, so you have to be very careful about water parametres. You could try Brotia pagodula (reproduces very slowly so won't overpopulate the tank), a white wizard snail (Filopaludina martensi), a black devil snail (Faunus ater), although their shells are very long so they need a bit of floor space; one mystery snail - they're big, active and colourful but they are voracious eaters and can nip plants (although only the weaker leaves, if the plant is healthy they should leave it alone - that's true for most snails tbh), or a Japanese trapdoor snail (don't know much about them though). All the other commonly seen snails like Clithon (antler snail), mIlitary helmet, batman etc. are just different species of nerites and all deposit little white eggs. But that's prety much their only drawback tbh, other than that they're very useful and pretty little critters (and your plants will definitely be safe with them;).
Regardless of the species I wouldn't get more than 1 or max 2 for a tank that size, just to avoid waste buildup.

Will nerite snails lay eggs if there is only one? If not, what if it gets "fertilized" in the store? How long will that type of scenario produce eggs for if there is only one snail?

Nerite snails get fertilized after they have been laid. The male finds the eggs and fertilizes them. If there is no boy to do his duty, the eggs will just sit there. A lot of people do not like Nerites because the eggs are hard to scrape off. Also, they need brackish water.

Baby nerites need to be in salt water so nerite snails will not reproduce in a freshwater aquarium. They might lay eggs but the baby snails won't survive.

Last edited:
I have two nerites in my 20, and although they are prolific eaters of soft algae, they poop like crazy.
At least one of them is female, as there are now nerite eggs everywhere. They won’t hatch in my freshwater setup, but they are unsightly, will be removed and the nerites are now looking for a new home

There is one species of ramshorn sold in the UK which is known for eating plants so this one needs to be avoided for a tank with live plants.

Ahh, and there's probably no way to "sex" a nerite is there? They could even be hermaphrodites?

Most reactions

trending

Back