Rams eating eggs

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Hilltop_Dave

Reaction score
I have a pair of blue rams that have laid eggs three times. The first batch of eggs hatched, but the subsequent times they ate their eggs. I have the ability to set up a hatching container but am unsure whether to pull the eggs, or just let them go.
The tank parameters are;
PH 6.8-7.0
Temp 79f
Conductivity 50
They are on a 350 gallon system that has a 15% water change daily.

I would leave them be but raise the temperature. 79 is a bit cool for breeding rams, and I'd aim for 83-84f. Why? Quicker egg development that's not above the natural range for the species. You're more likely to have fertile eggs with ramirezi if they are warmer.

You might have to isolate them from the system though. That's a lot of water to crank up.

Yes they are drilled. I recently retired and decided to set up some breeding tanks. I have a 180, 2-40 breeders, and a 20 high, connected to a fluidized 75 sump. The empty 75 on the bottom hopefully will be a grow out tank. I use a RO/DI to automatically add 5% every 8 hours to the sump, the overflow just goes down the drain.
1693352145386.png
1693352039112.png
1693352384670.png

You’ve set yourself a lofty goal . Discus are still “The King of Aquarium Fish” in my opinion and , whether just maintaining them or breeding them , whoever does so has achieved something very special . I have never had them and don’t know much about them except that they only thrive in excellent water and it looks like you have that hurdle behind you .

Most reactions

Back