Ram Sitting On Bottom Of Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sammydee

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys. Got two new blue rams yesterday, beautiful fish. One of them is doing great, swimming all over the tank, ate some brine shrimp and flake. The other looks very ill, it is just sitting on the bottom of the tank doing nothing. It won't accept flake or brine shrimp (frozen).

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 7.4

All I had in the tank up til now was 10 neon tetras. The tank is a 20 gallon long very heavily planted with vallisneria spirallis which has managed to kill off everything else (including java moss and java fern).

What's wrong with it? It seemed fine at the LFS (they have offered to accept it back if it is still ill in two days time).

Sam

If he's sitting on the bottom of the tank he is definately not well, what does it look like when the fish goes to the toilet, does he look darker in colour, does he look bloated, is he laboured breathing check the gill area to see what it look like.

I haven't seen him poo yet. His mouth moves very quickly, I think his breathing is laboured. He is not bloated, his gills are expanded and red. The fish does look much darker than usual, almost blackish brown instead of light yellow and blue.

Is he ill?

Sounds to me like he has a bacterial infection as they darken in colour, lay on the bottom listless, and heavy breath can you issolate him, you will need an internal bacteria med by interpet.

I can't isolate him until Sunday when I have time to sort out a quarantine tank. I don't have a quarantine tank running right now. I can't get to the shop to get the medicine until sunday either. I think I should return the fish to the shop so that they can treat him until he gets better.

Sam

No I have never had a disease problem before. I have isolated the fish in a plastic box floating in the main tank, I will get him in a bucket tomorow evening. I can't get to the LFS until monday is there anything I can do in the meantime?

"The third type of infection produced by Aeromonas is by no means the least. This form is often the most virulent (potent) and can be rapidly fatal. This insidious form does not produce any noticeable external ulcers. The most notable feature is a behavioral change in which the infected fish generally become listless and lethargic. Some fish may lose color or appear darker. The fish do not feed, frequently seem off balance and may sink to the bottom laying on their sides. The course of the disease is rapid, and by the time the behavioral changes are noticed, the entire population of a tank may succumb, sometimes in a day or so. This is an internal infection, with the bacteria being found in the kidneys and blood of these fish. The bacteria produce potent toxins that account for the severity of the disease."

Oh dear. I hope the rest of the tank's inhabitants don't go down with this thing.

Sam

Have you got a sort of oily film over the top of te watter by any chnace?

I took the ram back to the shop yesterday where they have the facility to care for it. They put it in a quarantine tank. I got a credit note for 1XRam so once everything is settles back in my main tank, I'll go get it back again :).

Sam

EDIT: I forgot to say thanks Wilder. I noticed you post a lot here, helping out people with ill fish. We all really appreciate it. Thanks.

Thanks.Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Back