Raising Fry

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SammySosa93

Reaction score
My blue wag platy Topaz gave birth on May 20. I got home from work and noticed two tiny shiny things in my tank, I netted them out and put them in a breeding net attached to the side of my tank. The tank is 10 gallons and is home to my three platties and now one baby. I went to feed the fish this morning and my other baby was dead :( I'm pretty sad as I had been raising these babies for my nephews tank. I was oddly attached to them as they were the first of anything I had ever saved. I just don't know whether I did something wrong or if it was just nature.... The one fry was significantly bigger than the deceased baby and would chase the smaller fish around all the time, especially whenever I fed them. I feed them (now, it) two to three times a day finely ground flake food. Last week I just started feeding them ground brine shrimp and bloodworms. Is it because one fish was so significantly bigger that he harassed the little one to death? Is it because they were still in the breeding net as of this morning because their new tank is still cycling and I didn't give them enough space?
Sorry for writing a book, I'm just pretty upset and want to know where I went wrong so I can possibly prevent the same fate for Topazs next batch

Hi Sammy.... Get yourself some Hornwort floating plants.... and discard the breeding nets or breeding traps... Just allow your Platties to have their fry naturally and ensure that you have ample hiding place for the fry... they are experts at hiding and the parents give them a fair chance of hiding by delivering the fry in amongst the thickets ....On average... your platy will deliver approximately 45 fry at approximately 26/8 day intervals..... If effective hiding place is provided.... you should be able to raise around 10 of the first batch with the parents.... and.. more with each subsequent batch as the larger fish gets used to fry swimming amongst them....

I'm honestly kind of scared to add plants because I don't want to be overrun with fry! I only wanted to save one or two to put in my nephews new tank. Does keeping them in the breeding net effect their size any? The remaining fry baby will be in his own tank in a week or two once the tank finishes cycling. He's also easily doubled his birth size and looks more like a fish than a tadpole now, but I'm afraid he still might be too small to be able to handle a 5 minute car ride up the street to his new home.

Most reactions

trending

Back