Rainwater

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

orange shark

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

Ive heard people keep killifish in water that consists of rainwater and tapwater to keep the water soft. Whats the best way of getting rainwater without anything getting into it?

Also, does it matter if something gets into it with out me noticing? Do you need to dechlor rainwater?

orange shark

i made a a water collector that feeds a large water butt. it has a valve on so i like to wait untill it has been raining for a day or to before i top it up. the water in the butt is then cycled with activated carbon for 36 hours until i use it.the only problem is that you become dependent on rainwater and if it stops raining then your in trouble.
my advice is to buy an R.O. unit.

On top of the roof of my last fish-house (garden shed) I installed clear corrugated sheeting angled into guttering and into drainpipe and into garden water butts. I used some ladys tights at the bottom of the drainpipe and held on with the pipe shoe to prevent, moss, dead flies etc from entering my collection barrels.
This I mixed with tapwater of varying degrees depending on species being kept.
Rainwater colection provokes arguments to its usage. I personally never had a problem using it as I lived in an area which was not heavily industralized, therefore pollutants we kept to a minimum.
I have moved house recently and the rainwater is poluted with farming and industry, also my tapwater is very hard which compounds my problems. So I to use RO water now.
BigC

Do you need to dechlor rainwater
Why would you dechlorinate rainwater.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back