Rainbow shark in a 40 gallon

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Dyl123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Would a rainbow shark be fine in a 40 gallon breeder, if so what else could I house it with and in what quantities?

A 40 gallon breeder should be fine for a rainbow shark, as for tank mates. Were you thinking about having an aggressive tank. Tiger Barbs would look cool. Especially since you can put a lot in your tank.

This fish, species is Epalzeorhynchos frenatus, attains six inches (15 cm) and is recommended for a 4-foot (120 cm) length tank minimum. While it might manage in a 3-foot, it does severely limit other fish as tankmates, and this is more difficult to get arouond in smaller as opposed to larger tanks. I realize a foot (30 cm) may not seem like much of a difference, but to the fish it is quite a difference. The following may be of interest.

Compatibility/Temperament: Territorial and combative with its own species; best kept in solitude (as they seem to live in their habitat). Young fish tend to be secretive, but as they mature some can become aggressive, especially with their own or similar species. This "shark" will get along with some of the loaches (Botia sp.) in largish tanks, but other bottom fish should be avoided. Upper fish such as the medium barbs, rasbora and danios would be suitable, depending upon the aquascape. In a large aquarium (6+ feet) a group of 6 could be attempted, but any fewer would likely result in the death of subordinate fish within the group.

Thanks to both of you, if I went for the tiger barbs how many could I kee with a rainbow shark in a 40 gallon?

Thanks to both of you, if I went for the tiger barbs how many could I kee with a rainbow shark in a 40 gallon?
As well as this if I went with an aggressive tank what things could be kept with the RS

A group of 8-12 is absolute minimum for this species (this number requiring a tank measuring 75 X 12 cm minimum), so that would certainly work in a 40g tank and you could up the numbers to 15 which would be even better. That would be it for the upper level.

Last edited:
I am trying to be open minded.
But I have to ask, Why would one want to "go with an aggressive tank?"

Also how many tiger barbs would you recommend adding at once because I’m reading various answers online
Your best adding the whole group at once. So if you want 12 get all 12 at the same time. They will settle in much better and it will let them sort the hierarchy out straight away. Less stress for them that way :)

Agree. Always add the entire intended group of a shoaling species. Fort one thing, with any species, they will settle in much faster with considerably less risk of ich if there are more of them. And the second issue Russjw mentioned, and with Tiger Barbs this is crucial.

Your best adding the whole group at once. So if you want 12 get all 12 at the same time. They will settle in much better and it will let them sort the hierarchy out straight away. Less stress for them that way :)
Ok thanks for the help

Would you be able to add the tiger barbs and the shark at the same time or would you do them separately?

I meant semi aggressive sorry, and I prefer Semi aggressive tanks
I guess everyone is different.
My Little Pea Puffer Niblet is more than semi-agressive when I give her snails.
Which was part, or most, of the reason I got her. I had a pest snail problem!

I guess everyone is different.
My Little Pea Puffer Niblet is more than semi-agressive when I give her snails.
Which was part, or most, of the reason I got her. I had a pest snail problem!
Is the puffer in a community or species tank?

Most reactions

trending

Back