Quick Question - Ferts And Co2

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

mattyeatsmatts

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Is using fertiliser and CO2 together a better option than just one of them alone?

I just purchased some TNC fert and some easyCarbo

Thanks, Matty

Is using fertiliser and CO2 together a better option than just one of them alone?

I just purchased some TNC fert and some easyCarbo

Thanks, Matty

If you were using EasyCarbo and CO2 interchangeably then, you shouldn't. They're different but do a similar thing.

You can dose ferts without Carbon, you just have to ensure you use light as the limiting factor. i.e. the ferts are high, the natural CO2 in the water is "high" and the light is lowest - meaning plants grow slowly and everything is fine......

If you dose Carbon with no ferts, it's this that will become the limiting factor - resulting in plant deficiency...death...algae.
(Again unless you lower light requirements even further, but with the added carbon it might be difficult as the plants will love it)

Dosing both together just allows you to raise that light bar a little higher....
It's called Liebig's law of the minimum and one day I will draw a decent copywrite free barrel to illustrate it......

....and now someone will say they just dose carbon and they have the biggest algae free plants in the world :lol::lol:

Most reactions

Back