Questions?

So i've decided that I will go Saltwater with the 55 and turn the 5 gallon into a filtration style refugium, it can't be larger because I don't have any resources for a larger tank. I will also go with Arogantie sand, and i'm going to a company that sells sand to see if they have aquarium-safe sand. Other than that I haven't really be replying to people's answers very much. So i'll do all my replies at once, then it wil probably make it a little easier to sort out the questions versus answers i've recieved.

shibby and AK77: If I want to grow both Stonies and softies, would it be best to use Metal Halide lights, or would I only be able to pick one from the other?

I've been told not to trust waht liveaquaria.com and other sites simalar to them say whole heartedly. Anyways what they have been saying about lighting conditions for certain things is a little foggy, for certain species they say they require lighting conditions but that sounds like, they will only survive in low lightitng, not really specifying if they can survive in higher lighting.

For powerheads, is it best to have several (2 or 3) pointed on diffrent directions to make turbulent waters, or would that plus a timer combo be better?

I'm still not really sure on how to set up a refugium, as i'm not very good with plumbing, I asked a plumber/carpenter who was working on our house, and he couldn't really tell me what the picture said other than the basics of water goes in and water comes out sorta thing, its hard for me to explain in writing.

Is there anyone with pictures of their set-up refugium that would give me a better idea?

Should I just drop the refugium deal all together?

Is Corraline algae easily scraped off the front\sides of the tanks?

Is there any limit to the amount of coral allowed in the tank?

Besides those questions that haven't been answered, and just came to my mind, thanks to everyone who's helped so far.

Thanks.

Joel.

if you want to keep hard corals its best to get metal halides, AK has done his overhang MH for rather cheap so mh dosent have to mean massive expense! theres also flowrate and conditions to take into consideration for harder corals though.

liveaquaria is good for a beginers grasp but dotn let it become the wealth of your knowledge like some people have, lyden always recomends fishbase ... and ive looked at it and found it really useful, theres always exceptions some things will work in one persons tank then in an identical tank with dif fish it cud become havok, e.g. some angels will nip some wont.

powerheads best to have 2 or 3 all can be on at same time i think, best to have 2-3 incase one breaks down of course and put them at different levels/areas to clear out all the dead spots.

i cant help much with the refugium, they are beneficial cto have if you have time, money resources and knowledge to do it! me i would be hopeless and cause a mess myself. there not essential just useful :)

the coraline algae im not sure about im sure if you didnt let it get too bad it would be easy enough to clean n what not.

and yeh the limit will mainly be space, and soem corals are agressive so will sting others youve got to be careful of that!

liveaquaria is good for a beginers grasp but dotn let it become the wealth of your knowledge like some people have, lyden always recomends fishbase ... and ive looked at it and found it really useful, theres always exceptions some things will work in one persons tank then in an identical tank with dif fish it cud become havok, e.g. some angels will nip some wont.

Really, I was looknig around fish base earlier, and I found it really hard to navigate :crazy:

Joel.

I would not try to grow softies and SPS (with the exception of zoos/palys) together. Most softies secrete alleopathic toxins into the water which inhibit calcification and growth in SPS. Zoos/palys dont secrete anything in the water and often live well with SPS.

If you do decide to go with SPS, lots of light, lots of flow, and lots of filtration.

okay, I just got back from my LFS, just checking out the prices and such.

I was just wondering what the average price of blue-legged hermit crabs is, the ones at my store were around fifteen dollars for one...

also it was sixty-five dollars a powerhead and twelve dollars and ninety-nine cents per pound for jicarta (sp?) live rock.

How are these prices on.average?

Joel.

What type of "Blue Leg"?? There are a few, including tri-colour (blue red & yellow) and electric blue (blue and black stripe). The electric blue tend to be more expensive, ranging from £4-6 in the UK.

The powerhead again depends on what make and model.

Live rock here in the UK varies from about £8 a kilo to a riduclous £15 a kilo in my LFS. They really should just point a shotgun in ya face when you walk into my LFS... at least then you are under no illusion... you're defo getting robbed :sly:

Thanks AK,

It was 65 dollars for the Aquatech (I think?) brand of powerhead which was meant for a 50 galls, so i'm planning on 3 of those, there was larger ones for a 70 gallon but tehy were 85 dollars a piece.

The hermit crabs were the electric blue ones, and by what you're saying the prices average out about the same.

Btw, i'm not sure about the quality of my LFS live rock, it had this gross black tentacle-strandy slime all over it, plus it looks like its got lots of Diatoms. Is that common? Sadly I don't have anywhere to do without driving for 3 hours. :X

Joel.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back