Questions regarding lowering pH

BLK

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
Iā€™m a beginning aquarist and have LOTS to learn. Gotten some very good guidance here so far. Thanks again!

Iā€™m leaning toward lowering my pH of 8.2 using Peat Moss. I know, for the sake of my fishā€™s health, I need to do it gradually and preferably in a controlled way. Has anyone had good success with peat Moss who could give me any tips?

Long ago...and it was pain in the derriƩre.
Whilst it worked for a while, it needed replenishing...and every water change diluted the effect.
There were also chemical products that manipulated pH, but again, every water change messed it up.

I soon learned to get fish that would be happy in my water, rather than try to turn my water into something fish would like.

Is your water naturally at a pH of 8.2?

You cannot adjust the pH without dealing with the GH and KH, generally anyway. There are two reasons for a high pH. 1) the GH and KH are on the hard side and these buffer the pH, preventing changes, depending upon the levels. 2) the water authority adds some substance to increase the pH for the purpose of preventing corrosion in the pipes. So the first thing to determine is the GH, KH and pH of your source (tap) water, on its own. If you don't already know these, you may find them on the website of your municipal water provider if you are on city water (as opposed to a private well).

Organic matter, such as peat moss, wood, dried leaves, etc, can lower the pH (and sometimes GH, minimally), but it all depends upon the GH, KH and pH to begin with. If the GH/KH are high, all the peat moss you can use will not have much effect. But if the GH/KH is quite low (mine is zero out of the tap), these substances will make quite a difference to the pH. And the aim is to have stability, at whatever level; fluctuating pH is far more dangerous to fish than a pH perhaps out of their preference but stable.

Hi,
Iā€™m a beginning aquarist and have LOTS to learn. Gotten some very good guidance here so far. Thanks again!

Iā€™m leaning toward lowering my pH of 8.2 using Peat Moss. I know, for the sake of my fishā€™s health, I need to do it gradually and preferably in a controlled way. Has anyone had good success with peat Moss who could offer
You cannot adjust the pH without dealing with the GH and KH, generally anyway. There are two reasons for a high pH. 1) the GH and KH are on the hard side and these buffer the pH, preventing changes, depending upon the levels. 2) the water authority adds some substance to increase the pH for the purpose of preventing corrosion in the pipes. So the first thing to determine is the GH, KH and pH of your source (tap) water, on its own. If you don't already know these, you may find them on the website of your municipal water provider if you are on city water (as opposed to a private well).

Organic matter, such as peat moss, wood, dried leaves, etc, can lower the pH (and sometimes GH, minimally), but it all depends upon the GH, KH and pH to begin with. If the GH/KH are high, all the peat moss you can use will not have much effect. But if the GH/KH is quite low (mine is zero out of the tap), these substances will make quite a difference to the pH. And the aim is to have stability, at whatever level; fluctuating pH is far more dangerous to fish than a pH perhaps out of their preference but stable.
Hi Byron,
I checked out the website to our cities water quality.
They claim that the water hardness is 112 ppm and pH fluctuates between 8.0-8.5
However after re-testing my tanks hardness today I'm getting a reading of 179 - it turned green after 10-11 drops. Noticed my new kit expired 5 days ago "8/21". Thinking it shouldn't affect the results much but wanted to mention. However, if a new unexpired kit shows a lower GH reading closer to that of the cities, would this change anything? I'm at peace with your advise to stay the course with what we've got. Hoping this is still the case :) Thanks

Hi Byron,
I checked out the website to our cities water quality.
They claim that the water hardness is 112 ppm and pH fluctuates between 8.0-8.5
However after re-testing my tanks hardness today I'm getting a reading of 179 - it turned green after 10-11 drops. Noticed my new kit expired 5 days ago "8/21". Thinking it shouldn't affect the results much but wanted to mention. However, if a new unexpired kit shows a lower GH reading closer to that of the cities, would this change anything? I'm at peace with your advise to stay the course with what we've got. Hoping this is still the case :) Thanks

A GH of 112 ppm (= 6 dH) is soft water. The question now is, what is the KH (carbonate hardness, or Alkalinity), as this buffers the pH directly. I would not expect it to be much different, but circumstances may result in this. Assuming the KH is similar, the pH may lower once the aquarium is established (not just cycled, but established which take a few months). The tank will develop its own stability respecting pH.

The GH does mean you can keep most soft water fish species, but definitely not any that need harder water (all livebearers, some rainbowfishes, rift lake cichlids, are hard water).

I have always used organic material to lower pH in tanks. Peat is the easiest product to use. I would line the whole base of my tank with peat and then place fine gravel over the top. My last tank I did this with was set up for ten years and it kept my pH at 6.4 I ran Discus in this tank without any problems.

Thanks Byron, I really appreciate your help. Frustrating though that GH reading I gathered is noticeably higher. Jeez!

I have always used organic material to lower pH in tanks. Peat is the easiest product to use. I would line the whole base of my tank with peat and then place fine gravel over the top. My last tank I did this with was set up for ten years and it kept my pH at 6.4 I ran Discus in this tank without any problems.
Good to hear about your positive experience with Peat itiwhetu.

Hi,

Iā€™m leaning toward lowering my pH of 8.2 using Peat Moss. I know, for the sake of my fishā€™s health, I need to do it gradually and preferably in a controlled way. Has anyone had good success with peat Moss who could give
If you
FYI: If you guys need, fluval makes compress peat pellets. I highly recommend use very little/sparingly and make sure you can keep in control and stable.

You measure out what you need and put it in a filter bag. Then stick it in your canister in an orderly fashion;)

If you

FYI: If you guys need, fluval makes compress peat pellets. I highly recommend use very little/sparingly and make sure you can keep in control and stable.

You measure out what you need and put it in a filter bag. Then stick it in your canister in an orderly fashion;)
Sounds good JazzyV. How does one make sure the change when using PM is gradual so as to avoid pH shock to our babies.

Sounds good JazzyV. How does one make sure the change when using PM is gradual so as to avoid pH shock to our babies.

This is one major issue when one starts fiddling with the pH. As I said previously, you have to deal with the GH/KH--but as the GH is soft and assuming the KH is comparable, let the pH naturally sort itself out. The fish will be healthier without question than if you start messing with peat and stuff. And peat will not last years, it gives out relevant to the initial GHY/KH/pH and the biological processes.

Well forgive me, but may I suggest you just try keeping fish with plain tap water for a while and gain a good understanding before you fiddle with this. I noticed you keep asking questions about how when itā€™s been answered more than once. From hobbyists to hobbyists, I donā€™t think you are ready and should wait for this project and do more research. Thereā€™s absolutely nothing wrong with waiting and gaining more knowledge for later use.

If it helps with perspective ā€¦In real life, Iā€™m licensed by my state to practice and give care for the largest organ for human beings. Control burns is my specialty. Even in my field not every sigle one of us is talented to pinpoint precision. Same with any field or hobby. RO water for aquarium is truly just what I tinker with on my free time bc well thatā€™s what tickles my brain and I can do it in my sleep bc Iā€™m well trained to do so for a living. I highly recommend you donā€™t attempt it without an experience aquarist by your side. Itā€™s a Pandora box for some so just heads up. You donā€™t seem to have safety nets in place before you start either..so to speak line up. Donā€™t do itā€¦just my opinion. Save yourself the headache and finding out what it really takes to keep it stable. You donā€™t want to end up hating yourself. Most will never get told this truth. I hope you take it well from a caring hobbyists who donā€™t want to see you and your fish suffer. Good luck manā€¦I really strongly suggestion you leave ph alone.

Well forgive me, but may I suggest you just try keeping fish with plain tap water for a while and gain a good understanding before you fiddle with this. I noticed you keep asking questions about how when itā€™s been answered more than once. From hobbyists to hobbyists, I donā€™t think you are ready and should wait for this project and do more research. Thereā€™s absolutely nothing wrong with waiting and gaining more knowledge for later use.

If it helps with perspective ā€¦In real life, Iā€™m licensed by my state to practice and give care for the largest organ for human beings. Control burns is my specialty. Even in my field not every sigle one of us is talented to pinpoint precision. Same with any field or hobby. RO water for aquarium is truly just what I tinker with on my free time bc well thatā€™s what tickles my brain and I can do it in my sleep bc Iā€™m well trained to do so for a living. I highly recommend you donā€™t attempt it without an experience aquarist by your side. Itā€™s a Pandora box for some so just heads up. You donā€™t seem to have safety nets in place before you start either..so to speak line up. Donā€™t do itā€¦just my opinion. Save yourself the headache and finding out what it really takes to keep it stable. You donā€™t want to end up hating yourself. Most will never get told this truth. I hope you take it well from a caring hobbyists who donā€™t want to see you and your fish suffer. Good luck manā€¦I really strongly suggestion you leave ph alone.
I already came to this conclusion.

I already came to this conclusion.
.... And had posted that I had determined I would not experiment with RO right now. Under my RO questions thread, but I guess you didnā€™t see that.

Most reactions

Back