Questions on my tank and its cycle, also questions on RO water

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Sergical

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been monitoring my 20 gallon fish tank for the past week. My nitrites and nitrates are 0 but my ammonia is still around 2-4ppm and hasn't changed (I havent tested since the beginning of last week I can retest for updated levels). I have a heavily planted tank with a sponge filter. The only chemical I have been adding is the Seachem flourish for the plants. I did my first water change last week and added RO water to hopefully to lower my ammonia. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong? Should I be adding prime to my tank to render any toxins?

Also, I read somewhere that I should be mixing half tap and half RO water before doing water changes and adding Prime. Thoughts on this? I also read that if I did use RO water that I should add Seachem Equilibrium to add those missing minerals.

Just as some background information. I can't use my tap water due to VERY high levels of ammonia because my city can't maintain its water quality.

I know I have posted before I just want to make sure I am on the right track and can use some guidance. Sorry for the multiple questions but really appreciate if they get answered.

I remember the general issue and I just checked back to find the fish and GH/pH numbers. Is it correct that you returned the livebearers to the store? So you now have just the tetras and cories? I'll assume yes and continue, but you can correct my assumption if in error.

The ammonia in your tap water at 8 ppm is something we can't do much about beyond what several members suggested in the older thread. You are now using part RO, and if this is a viable option you could go to straight RO water. I would not mix it with the tap because you are then back into the ammonia issue.

With just RO water the GH and KH will be zero, and the pH will stabilize on the acidic side. This is not a problem for soft water fish. My GH/KH is zero and the pH in my tanks varies depending upon the individual tank's system but it is in the 4-6 range. I've had this for years, and my wild caught soft water fish thrive.

Prime...OK for water changes if using tap water (in part or total) but not if straight RO. This is not a treatment for problems, and the more you use it the more it will affect fish. With RO there will be no neeed for this at all, fortunately. The Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is fine.

Equilibrium is a plant-focused mineral additive that will increase the GH by adding dissolved calcium and magnesium (primarily these two) along with two or three other minerals. I used this for several years, but stopped after a marine biol;ogist suggested I not use it. It does improve plant growth in very soft water, no doubt, but you can manage without it. I use just the liquid Flourish Comprehensive plus the Flourish Tabs next to the larger sword plants, and they are fine.

I do just use RO water for my soft water fish. Nothing else except for the florish comprehensive @Byron mentions. Obviously no need for dechlorinator or prime when its just RO water. my GH and KH are zero and pH around 5.5 - it is actually too low to measure without a digital meter - so I don't bother.

I remember the general issue and I just checked back to find the fish and GH/pH numbers. Is it correct that you returned the livebearers to the store? So you now have just the tetras and cories? I'll assume yes and continue, but you can correct my assumption if in error.

The ammonia in your tap water at 8 ppm is something we can't do much about beyond what several members suggested in the older thread. You are now using part RO, and if this is a viable option you could go to straight RO water. I would not mix it with the tap because you are then back into the ammonia issue.

With just RO water the GH and KH will be zero, and the pH will stabilize on the acidic side. This is not a problem for soft water fish. My GH/KH is zero and the pH in my tanks varies depending upon the individual tank's system but it is in the 4-6 range. I've had this for years, and my wild caught soft water fish thrive.

Prime...OK for water changes if using tap water (in part or total) but not if straight RO. This is not a treatment for problems, and the more you use it the more it will affect fish. With RO there will be no neeed for this at all, fortunately. The Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is fine.

Equilibrium is a plant-focused mineral additive that will increase the GH by adding dissolved calcium and magnesium (primarily these two) along with two or three other minerals. I used this for several years, but stopped after a marine biol;ogist suggested I not use it. It does improve plant growth in very soft water, no doubt, but you can manage without it. I use just the liquid Flourish Comprehensive plus the Flourish Tabs next to the larger sword plants, and they are fine.
So this is a new tank. I donā€™t have anything in the 10 gallon tank anymore with the really high ammonia levels. With this new 20 gallon planted tank that I have been messing with I just have 3 platys in them so they can create some ammonia. So my problem is Iā€™ve been having consistent ammonia levels in my new tank because I added tap water but my filter hasnā€™t taken care of it. Should I be doing regular water changes with RO water to eliminate the ammonia?

So this is a new tank. I donā€™t have anything in the 10 gallon tank anymore with the really high ammonia levels. With this new 20 gallon planted tank that I have been messing with I just have 3 platys in them so they can create some ammonia. So my problem is Iā€™ve been having consistent ammonia levels in my new tank because I added tap water but my filter hasnā€™t taken care of it. Should I be doing regular water changes with RO water to eliminate the ammonia?

This is the same ammonia issue, the high ammonia is in the tap water. I think members dealt with this as best as they could in the older threads. Usig just RO will eventually result in pure water, no ammonia.

You should re-home the platys, your tap water GH was 6.2 and this is way too soft for platies.

This is the same ammonia issue, the high ammonia is in the tap water. I think members dealt with this as best as they could in the older threads. Usig just RO will eventually result in pure water, no ammonia.

You should re-home the platys, your tap water GH was 6.2 and this is way too soft for platies.
I really appreciate all the help and comments from all the threads I have posted. I just feel insecure and just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. I try to not post a lot and research a lot but there are so many people who do things differently and so many contradicting statements that I am not sure which one is true or not. I re-homed all the fish in my other tank except the platys as I wanted to use them for the new tank but at some point I will re home them as well. I think the best course of action is to go ahead and do frequent water changes to make sure I get the ammonia down. My first mistake was adding my toxic tap water to the new tank and I really regret that.

I really appreciate all the help and comments from all the threads I have posted. I just feel insecure and just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. I try to not post a lot and research a lot but there are so many people who do things differently and so many contradicting statements that I am not sure which one is true or not. I re-homed all the fish in my other tank except the platys as I wanted to use them for the new tank but at some point I will re home them as well. I think the best course of action is to go ahead and do frequent water changes to make sure I get the ammonia down. My first mistake was adding my toxic tap water to the new tank and I really regret that.
Dont feel bad about posting anything! I love this forum because members arent afraid to point out incorrect info and are super helpful:)

Most reactions

Back