Questions On Dividing A Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GuppyGirl20

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I don't have room for it right now but I'm hoping when I move and get a little more money I can get a tank, divide it, and get two more lovely bettas. (I've loved raising one so even though I know a lot of people don't agree with it but I would probably get two more baby bettas and give them a good proper life.) I've never divided a tank before so I have a few questions. Do you need two filters or how does one side get filtered if there is only one? Since its for bettas does the divider have to go all the way to the lid (I know they are jumpers)? Is it okay to have a female on one side and a male on the other of you're not planning on breeding them? Since I would probably get babies it can be difficult to sex them but I'm fairly confident (aka cocky) in my ability to sex bettas. Ummm, well my brain just glitches out so that's all the questions I can thing of for the moment - oh! Kind of off hand question: does anyone know generally how much it is in electric bill to keep tanks running? I already have a five gallon and my boyfriend brought up the idea of the electic bill could possible go up with more than one tank and I hadn't thought about that so that is some food for thought before I purchase another one. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Electric costs...

Let's do some quick math (with simple example numbers):  Let's say you have a 100W heater, that is on 50% of the day (12 hours).  And a filter that's drawing another 50W, every hour of every day.  And a 25W bulb that's drawing power 8 hours a day.  

Heater = 1200Watt-hours
Filter = 1200Watt-hours
Light = 200Watt-hours.

That's 2600Watt-hours per day.  So, 2.6kiloWatt-hours, which is the amount you are charged for electricity.  For the sake of argument, let's round it up to 3 kWhrs per day.  And the cost of electricity will vary by location, but let's use a nice round figure of $0.10 per kWhr.  That means that you'd be spending about $0.30 per day on the tank running per day.  Over a month, that would increase your energy costs by approximately $9 per month.  

FYI: http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/update/end_use.cfm#tabs_prices-3

GuppyGirl20 said:
Do you need two filters or how does one side get filtered if there is only one? Since its for bettas does the divider have to go all the way to the lid (I know they are jumpers)? Is it okay to have a female on one side and a male on the other of you're not planning on breeding them?
Two filters is better because there can be problems with ammonia build up on one side of the tank. What happens is the water cannot cycle through the filter in both parts of tank, one side tends to go stagnant, and ammonia may build up (though you will get some bacteria in the substrate). Two sponge filters is an excellent solution for two betta fish. You can run these off the same air pump to further simplify things. 

The divider should go under the substrate and as close to the lid as possible. You have to be careful about small gaps, particularly if you want to get a baby betta (which I don't agree with, but you seem to be set on this), so using plexiglass or glass or another solid material situated with silicone is often a good choice. This does mean you will need a second heater, although you could DIY the tank so that it is divided along the middle of the tank and all the way along the back, with a heater and filter(s) in the back portion and the middle portion divided to keep the fish from each other. Be cautious with materials like mesh, particularly if you have two aggressive males on either side of the tank. Crowntails in particular can occasionally get their rays through the holes, and the other fish can nip at these rays.

You can have a male on one side and a female on the other without difficulty, though it is worth noting that if there are not sufficient plants of other decor by the dividing wall, the sight of the other fish (and this applies with two males or two females as well) can stress one of the betta. I saw one divided tank where the divided wall was made out of mesh I think, but it had been cultivated as a moss wall and made a very effective and attractive divider.

While you can have a successful divided tank with only one filter, I don't recommend it.  They work out better with two(or how ever many sections you have) filters.  Sponge filters work the best since you only have to power one airpump for multiple filters.  I have used plexiglass, craft mesh and sponge material for dividers. And I prefer sponge material for dividers although that is not economical for most people.  Craft mesh is my second choice for dividers.  No matter what you use to make the divider -- the most important part is to make sure it is secure.  It needs to go all the way to the bottom glass and to touch the lid to make sure that all areas are covered.  You can put a male on one side and a female on another and be perfectly fine.  However it is a good idea to try and block the view at the divider with plants.  Or another good suggestion, make a small section in the middle which would mean that there is no way for the bettas to see each other.  This would also keep the bettas from being able to occasionally take nips of each others fins.  While rare, it can and does happen.

Thanks for the advice. I thought I read that it is good for bettas to flare at each other (like an exercise for them), is this wrong?

GuppyGirl20 said:
Thanks for the advice. I thought I read that it is good for bettas to flare at each other (like an exercise for them), is this wrong?
It's good occasionally, once in a while, but too much can tear the gills and fins and stress the fish.

Hi All,

Okay, really dumb question... there seems to be a bit of "should I" / "shouldn't I" in the background with regards to getting Baby Betta's.

What are the issue(s)?  I have no idea on the background / why / why not you should or shouldn't get baby betta's (as opposed to adult betta's).

BTW - I am not looking to keep baby betta's (or betta's at all - I am happy with my danio's) - I just want to understand a bit more in case it helps either myself or anyone else in the future.

Thanks all !!!

You have to be careful about small gaps,
I can vouch for that my betta thinks its a cat. Oh look a gap I bet I can fit thru there. I had to do the thumb test on all the fittings in my tank, Basically my thumb has to pass between fittings and the tank wall, This way the boofhead wont get stuck or rip his tail.

Australian saying. A boofhead , does silly things.

sbenbow said:
Hi All,

Okay, really dumb question... there seems to be a bit of "should I" / "shouldn't I" in the background with regards to getting Baby Betta's.

What are the issue(s)?  I have no idea on the background / why / why not you should or shouldn't get baby betta's (as opposed to adult betta's).

BTW - I am not looking to keep baby betta's (or betta's at all - I am happy with my danio's) - I just want to understand a bit more in case it helps either myself or anyone else in the future.

Thanks all !!!
Well for starters A LOT of people don't know how to properly take car of them. It's an animals rights sort of thing (or at least that's what I understand from people having a problem with them being sold). Babies need a lot more attention than adults, like their water has to be perfect to promote healthy growth.
I got my batts when it was a baby and I love it. I love watching it grow and I've had him for almost a year.

BTW - I am not looking to keep baby betta's (or betta's at all)
Oh you have no idea of the joys you are missing. My little guy  seems to want to interact with me, He follows my finger when I move it on the glass of the tank, If I put my hand cupped into the tank he will happily swim onto my hand and I can take him out of the tank that way, who needs a net? I hand feed him and he seems to recognise me, My friends have tried the same things I do and he wont co operate.

My guy lives in a 70 lt tank, With snails cherry shrimp and now a catfish.
 Bettas are a wonderful fish if treated right, and I think baby bettas would be easier to get friendly with than adults.

Hooked on bettas and I don't care.
2imaqyu.jpg

sbenbow said:
Hi All,

Thanks all !!!
Keeping baby bettas really isn't the big issue.  It is buying them from places like Petco/Petsmart that sell them without instruction which normally means they are destined to not live.  They are normally small enough to need live food or really small prepared foods which buyers are not informed of at the time of purchase.  It was more along the lines of "don't buy them so that they will stop selling/stocking them in the store" which at this point is moot cause they are commonplace and not going to be stopped.  So as long as someone is informed, I really do not see the issue anymore.  It is like buying an adult betta from the same store at this point.  I prefer and advocate buying from breeders VS the stores but either way they are still going to be sold/stocked at the stores.

Most reactions

Back