Questions About Killie Fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ripple

Reaction score
I was wondering at what age/size should I move my fry from the plastic zip lock containers? The tubs contain aproximately 2" of water. I have two 2.5 gallon glass tanks I would like to house them in until they are big enough to go into the ten gallons.

I was also wondering when would be a good time to expose them to a little over head light? So far I do not have any direct light over the parents or the babies tanks in fear of disturbing/over heating. However, in the future I would like to have some form of light over the ten gallons so I can see them. I put a hood light on top of my adult pair of Aphyosemion Striatum's tank last night for just a few minutes and they didn't seem to like it at all.

One more question...(for now) Is it safe to keep killie tanks with tightly fitted glass lids. I posted a question in the Tropical Fish section about the safety in doing this but wanted to know what you killie people (ahem...BigC) thought.

A tight fitting lid is essential when keeping Killifish, many an ardent enthusiast has lost fish due to not obeying this rule.
It also seems a right of passage, every killifish fancier I know has lost fish by not having read the warning sign.
As for the fry you can move them on to larger 1lb Ice cream tubs or similar plastic cake boxes, increase the water depth daily and remove uneaten food immediately, waterchanges are the key at this time.
ATB
C

Thanks a bunch for your reply BigC. I have been doing water changes daily for my Aphyosemion Striatum fry but I've read that some people prefer not to disturb the Nothos as much and tend to let their water get a little dirty. What are your feelings on this?

I dont advocate mucky tanks for any of my fish, Dirty tanks reach a point of saturated pollution that will kill the fish contained within.
Notho's are no different so long as you change a little at a time, always add a few grains of salt to Nothos water to inhibit outbreaks of Velvet which seem to plague Notho's more than any other Killifish sp.
AYB
C

Thanks again. :) Makes total sense to me, just wanting to make sure I do everything within my power to raise a healthy batch.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back