Questionabut lights

Gooey

Reaction score
When buying the light fittings(/housing?), do you have to
get "special" ones designed for fish tanks, or could i buy
a one from b&q (such as you put in your bathroom), and fit
a bulb designed for fish tanks ?
Shoot me if it is a stupid question.

About the filter, what size would be suited for a 10 (uk)
gallon tank ? I have an internal mini filter, 109mm x 35mm
x 35mm, it says on the box max load is 60 litres (i think
10 gall is 45 litres (or there abouts)), but there doesn't
seem to be much of a currrent, is this a bad thing ?

As far as the light goes you need the right stuff, a household bulb dose nothing for your fish and the starter units for them are not water proof, and are usually the wrong ratting.

As far as the filter goes, I think your tank is 7.8gals when it's got everything in it so thats only about 35liters. I wouldn't think your present filter sounds okay. When you've spare cash get an internal filter either a fluval 2 or a eheim 2008 (max about £20) When you go to install a new filter don't remove the old one straight away, use both until the new one is setup, so not to have the same problems as before.

I'd recommend you contact Animal house for one of there catalogues as there cheaper than going to the local store, for hardware stuff anyway. :D

I actually did what you are talking about, I went to a home repair store and bought a flourescent fixture and a bulb designed for an aquarium. I took a little work to remove the old fixture and put in the new one but I saved about $20.00. If your not handy type of person this might be difficult.

The best web site I've found so far for light's, filters etc is
www.aquatics-online.co.uk.

A Fluval 2+ (new type) filter is £18.95 and they offer a variety of lighting options as well. Delivery of my order took 2 days.

Most reactions

trending

Back