Question re: nano tank setup

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sepuku

Reaction score
I had to get another tank set up over the weekend after one of my fish started being poorly.
As a side note, he's a bit bloated, seems to be tilted over to one side slightly (although I'm not sure if he's able to see his reflection in the bottom of the quarantine tank and thats why he's tilted), scales are sticking out a bit, his skin is very raw as those he's been scratching himself loads against something (there's lava rock in the main tank, so that would definitely damage his scales if he rubbed himself against them, but I didn't see any activity like that).
I feel awful as I badly sprained my ankle about 6 weeks ago, and wasn't able to do a water change as regularly as I would usually, and was panicking as the nitrates started climbing higher and higher in the main tank. I eventually was able to do one, and all the fish (there's multiple tetras, oto's, gold barbs, shrimp, mollies, 1x platy) all seem fine except for this guy (a gold barb).
I put this down to dropsy (although I wonder if he may have been irritated by water quality whilst I wasn't able to do a water change).

I'm keeping him separate, and giving him a broad spectrum antibiotic to try and help with anything he has until I can determine what it is. I'll try and get a good photo and post later.

The question I have is about the nano tank set up that I have.
I acquired a Dymax IQ5, neat little acrylic tank, which I'm actually enjoying having in my office. There's 3 compartments at the back of the tank, essentially a small inbuilt sump tank.
I have an air-stone in the main part of the tank for him to ensure good air circulation, but my question is: does the air-stone have to go in the main tank? Or can it go in one of the compartments at the back so the only water movement is from the pump, and I dont get any surface disturbance in the main part of the tank. I like having the tank in the office, and considering keeping it here as maybe a fry tank (I think one of the mollie's is pregnant). I just want to be able to see into the tank more without the bubbles, so curious if I can put the air-stone in one of the compartments at the back of the tank and that would be ok for circulation...

See attached picture

Attachments

• IMG_3024.jpeg
    IMG_3024.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 129
In my opinion you don’t need the air stone at all , that looks like enough water movement in a small tank I’d be shocked if you have any dead areas on the surface

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back