Question On Tank Setup/ Mystery Snail.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Leel

Reaction score
I've already sort of asked this, but hopefully some more people will see it here.
First here is my current tank setup:
Width: 30cm (11.81")
Height: 23cm (9.06")
Depth: 17cm (6.69")
11.7 liters / 3.0 U.S. gallons.
tank001.jpg

Done some reading, from what I've heard Bettas are fine with snails of this size, and given his already in the tank will seem part of the enviroment?
My second question is on filters, I've been informed weekly water changes work fine, I'm sure a filter would work better so what model could I look at? So I can find out price.
And how is my setup Betta wise? I'd honestly much prefer a Betta over a few Terta or danio :p
Thanks for reading!

tank looks fine, and with the size of the snail i can't see a betta giving him any trouble :good: i use sponge filters in my betta tanks

Firstly, if that snail is getting the food it needs, your ammonia readings would be through the roof right now. Do you know your exact (in numbers) readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? A cycled filter would solve this problem. I use Elete's Mini for tanks that size.

Secondly, if an apple snail (which you have) dies in a tank that size, it will release enough ammonia in a matter of hours to kill all fish in there. If you want to keep anything else in there, it may be wise to get a different tank for the snail.

A Betta would, in theory fit into a tank that size, but I personally would not keep one in a tank smaller than 30*30*30cm.

I do not know of a single tetra of danio species, which are both schooling so should be kept in groups of 6+, which would fit into that tank. There are very few fish species I know of which I would put into a tank that size, but none are commonly available and all should have a fully cycled filter. I would, for example, keep a trio of Neoheterandria elegans and 3-5 cherry shrimp in it.

It is nice to see that you have plants in there.

Yes, I have used tanks that size before, but only for hatching eggs, for raising fry, and for breeding brine shrimp and daphnia.

lilfishie: Thanks for the reply and good to hear :) I'll look into the sponge filters.

Leader of the Fishes: Thanks for the lengthy reply, I need all the info I can get :)
I haven't any readings and our kit is expired I think, I'll still give it a try. He hardly goes through the few waffer flakes I give him. I know they can really mess with the levels. Given he looks unwell as of late I'll certainly hold up before I get a fish.
The size is small, I figured a betta would prefer it over the cups you buy them in though, and I've been told by a lot of people to get schooling fish but I thought the tank would be too small, especially since I've kept them in larger tanks and seen how active they are.
I'll have a look at the fish/ shrimp you posted thanks :)

I know they can really mess with the levels. Given he looks unwell as of late...
What is your pH? Snails do need it to be over 7.0, preferably in the 7.5-8.0 range.

The size is small, I figured a betta would prefer it over the cups you buy them in though, and I've been told by a lot of people to get schooling fish but I thought the tank would be too small, especially since I've kept them in larger tanks and seen how active they are.
Yes, but by buying a Betta from a cup, you are supporting the sale of Bettas in cups. Try to find somewhere to buy one from which keeps them in tanks, if you go for one.
You are right in your reasoning for why schooling fish are no-go. :)

after having a read on apple snails (as i have no experience with them) they are very messy snails so i'm inclind to agree with Kat, maybe swap him for a more suitable snail.

sorry to hear he is unwell :sad:

I tried strips from our pool, not sure how accurate they are. Seems PH is 6.2 or around there,
I don't think I've ever seen them in tanks here :blink:
Next week I have work so I'll hopefully be able to afford some supplies such as a kit and filter.

(Also my snail is a rehome, I promised to look after him so I can't really go swapping, looks like I'll be stuck with just the snail then..)

Yes, but by buying a Betta from a cup, you are supporting the sale of Bettas in cups. Try to find somewhere to buy one from which keeps them in tanks, if you go for one.
You are right in your reasoning for why schooling fish are no-go. :)
[/quote]

Not always possible. In a perfect world theyd all be in a tank. Ive yet to see males in a tank and not in a cup in any of the LFS that I have visited in the US. Even so, only seen on store with females in community tanks. :/

by the way, that snail is LOVELY!!!
cheers

Cute Snail! I think you could probably try it, but you need to make sure water quality is okay first, and also add a filter and heater. I'm excited that you have real plants in the tank.

But be prepared with a back up plan in case it goes sour. Mr. Betta doesnt always want to have company. I have one currently in a 5 gallon tank who wont take any tank mates at all. Kiss pecked the otos to the point where one died and the other two had to be rescued to a spare tank; ate an apple snail's antennae, and even went hunting for the Cherry Shrimp I tried as a last resort. So now he lives on my desk near my computer alone so I can keep a very close eye on his water perameters since I don't have a clean up crew in there. His water gets tested twice a week and if it shows trace ammonia all the Betta tanks get changed.

I tried strips from our pool, not sure how accurate they are. Seems PH is 6.2 or around there,

6.2 is definitely too low for a snail, its shell will start disintegrating soon! I suggest you remove the bogwood (which lowers pH) and do a large water change with warm, dechlorinated water. Also check your tap pH after standing it in a glass for 24 hours.

You may also want to look into getting a small "reef bones" stone: it should slowly release calcium into the water, which would be good for the snail.

As for supplies, look online.

6.2 is definitely too low for a snail, its shell will start disintegrating soon! I suggest you remove the bogwood (which lowers pH) and do a large water change with warm, dechlorinated water. Also check your tap pH after standing it in a glass for 24 hours.

You may also want to look into getting a small "reef bones" stone: it should slowly release calcium into the water, which would be good for the snail.

As for supplies, look online.
I'm not sure what you mean by bogwood, I have a rock in there if thats what you mean.
I use filtered so I don't think it has chlorine but I'll do a test, also I have a small 25 watt heater in there, just need a filter now.
And Reef bones sound excellent I see if I can get some :)

I'm not sure what you mean by bogwood, I have a rock in there if thats what you mean.
The brown thing on the right? Looked like wood to me, never mind.. do you know why your water looks tannin rich? (i.e. has a brown tinge)

Like I've said before:

The Bettas in the cups will get sold anyway. If not to you then to someone else and that someone may well try to still keep them in a tiny cup with no filter and it'll die very miserable and/or very quickly. OR it could get bought by someone from this website who actually knows about keeping fish (or at least has easy access to people who do)and it's life will be saved and bettered. You can't save all the fish in the world but if you can give just one a good life then you've done good.

This is what happened with my Betta I rescued and he is now a different fish from the unhappy, sick and drab one I first laid eyes on two weeks ago. Consequently I will never be told I did the wrong thing. He's happy now and I did that, end of!

Kat, I'd say hats from the lighting in my room the water is very clear.

Caz, hats pretty much why I'd prefer a cup on, so I can give him something better.
In my opinion the argument is silly. I bet that plenty of other pets sold have similar problems. Puppy mills, bird breeders with no knowledge at all. It's not uncommon, and It's always going to be debatable.

So far I'm still working on my snail, getting a filter and some calcium for him. I'll check out he bettas too :)

It may be worth testing the pH and hardness of your tap water, once it has stood in a glass for 24 hours.. You may just have naturally soft water!

Of course plenty of suppliers do it wrong. I just think it is better to support those who do it right by giving my money to them, be it retail sellers, professional breeders, amateur breeders or just hobbyists like you and I.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back