**Question of the week** | What is your favorite aquarium fish, and why?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

What is your favorite aquarium fish, and why?

• I have a favorite

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • I don’t have a favorite

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have multiple favorites

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • It’s hard to choose...

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
Dwarf chain loaches (for their markings, talkativeness, and social behavior), panda garra (for their personalities, cute little lizard faces, and algae-nuking abilities), pearl gouramis and bosemani rainbows (for their looks). That's the aquarium fish.

Favorite fish to catch? Yellowstone cutthroat trout. Favorite fish to eat? Walleye.
Favorite fish to eat? Fried Louisiana catfish. And I'll take some Louisiana boiled crawfish, shrimp, and crab to go with it. :)

If I had an 800 - bizillion gallon aquarium? Arowana. If you get the South American that has red edged scales like I had in the 80's? that's a fish to build around. A huge aquarium of water plants and lilies with a pack of Arowana and a few hundred Cardinal Tetras. ahh..
More realistic? M.boesemani and Clown Loaches. They just fill all the right marks. Easy to keep,long lived and colorful and get along. Seems like the more you have of them the better too.

Probably a betta imbellis and a pinecone pleco are my favorites. Bettas imbellis because they are peaceful and can go with other fish and pincone plecos because they look so cool!

Attachments

• C724798D-6FA5-44DE-ABEA-7515E8F713FE.jpeg
    C724798D-6FA5-44DE-ABEA-7515E8F713FE.jpeg
    15.5 KB · Views: 33
  • B0917B8B-E923-4CB8-8CB7-16F1039C459B.jpeg
    B0917B8B-E923-4CB8-8CB7-16F1039C459B.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 31
I'm having a tough time with this question

My Bolivian Ram is my favorite. Personality, swimming style, friendly.

I would love to know if apistogrammas are a favorite of mine, but I can't find any locally. :(

As a guy that has previously kept numerous apistos I would say they soon would be one of your favourites. They are not huge fish but once they are settled into a tank with enough spots to hide and correct water parameters they are certainly big on personality. They are very inquisitive, and largely very gentle... Unless they are about to breed or protecting fry.

I'm actually setting up a tank for some more right now, I've not had them for a number of years and and frankly I miss them.

I'm just trying to decide on the dither fish, although I'll likely get pencils or raspbora of some description.

wait- you can keep more than 1 male imbellis in a tank?
Yes, as long as there is enough plant cover and the tank is large enough.

They are often known as the peaceful betta, but they will still fight to protect nests and while breeding.

Angels always, since I was a child I've never been without them. Elegance, beauty, and their spice! I just got this gorgeous green BSP juvie, not many around yet. I can't stop staring at her, and the picture doesn't do her justice. By the way, I really need a name, a ghostly, pretty wispy name. Would love your ideas!

Attachments

• Angel2.jpg
    Angel2.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 35
Actually our interest may change from time to time.
I'll be describing only the freshwater fish which I used to have.

My first favourite fish was Bettas.
I had one with blue and red halfmoon Betta with big fins and tail.
But I got bored with it after it kept having fins rot.

Then I moved to Apistogrammas. There are many Apistogrammas with unique and beautiful fins and tail.
The Borelli has fins like an umbrella.
Cacatuiodes has spiky fins that are interesting.
Bitaenita and Trifasciata have beautiful fins and tails.
There are many more Apistogrammas that are interesting and beautiful.

Then I moved to Blue Rams, Electric Blue Rams and Golden Rams.

I also like Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus which are active and often come to the front of the tank. They have blue eyes and are like Doberman dogs that are sensitive to anything that move in front of them.

Black Calvus which have the "tribal look" are another interesting fish.
Their fins are for defending themselves.

I also like Electric Blue Dempsey. Their blue colour is interesting.

One of my favourite is also the Discus but they are overtimid and require high maintenance.
Another one of my favourite are the Earth eater species. There are many beautiful species but they require at least 75 gallons tank.

Now, my favourite are the Endlers/Guppies, shrimps especially the Sulawesi shrimps and Panther crabs.
Though they are small, their colours are amazing.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back