Question About Cycling

schooly20

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
196
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Grand Rapids, MI
So I was wondering when I set up a new tank, since Im using the same type of HOB filter, penguin 330, could I just move one of the filter cartridges and some of the water from my existing tank, and would that greatly reduce the cycling time, or will I not need to cycle at all if I very slowly stock the tank??
 
u will still need 2 cycle the tank but yes the tank probably will cycle much quicker u are always better 2 make sure before adding fish.

jen
 
By moving some of the filter media you will shorten the cycle in the new tank. The water won't help at all but, if its time for a water change in the old tank, it won't hurt either. You will still need to do your fishless cycle on the new tank for at least a few days to make sure all is well. You may experience a mini-cycle on the old tank if you move too much media, so be sure to monitor in case you need extra water changes.
 
Alright thanks for clearing that up for me! I appreciate the help and will definitely be careful about moving some media.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top