Question About Co2 Diffusers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I have the standard glass CO2 Diffuser, and to me it seems very inefficient? I mean, the CO2 goes right to the surface and gasses off; how is the CO2 diffusing into the water?

Is there a more efficient way to diffuse CO2 into a tank? Would trapping some of the CO2 bubbles and keeping them under water longer; would that help at all?

Right now I have the bubbles being sucked up into a power head, then be shot out across the tank; and it does not look pretty have thousands of tiny little CO2 bubbles dance all over the tank. lol

Thanks!

-FHM

well some send it through the actual filter. I normally just use the ceramic diffuser. You won't get it all to dissolve, but the bubbles should shrink as the rise to the surface.

BTW where do you get your tanks filled? My place closed down and I'm having trouble finding somewhere just as good.

well some send it through the actual filter. I normally just use the ceramic diffuser. You won't get it all to dissolve, but the bubbles should shrink as the rise to the surface.

BTW where do you get your tanks filled? My place closed down and I'm having trouble finding somewhere just as good.

Thanks for the response!

There is a place right in New Richmond called Praxair. I bought a 5 pound bottle from them and to refill it, it is just $14.00!

-FHM

I think my Diffuser may be too small in diameter?

What is the recommended diameter for a diffuser for a 55 gallon tank?

Thanks!

-FHM

As long as the whole disc surface isnt having bubbles balsted throught it then the diffuser size is ok. You want the pressure spread out over the disc.
I had a 1" diamtere in my 60l and it bubbles never used over 50% of the surface (except when it had been cleaned and it looked like smoke! :D )

In that tank I had the diffuser on the left, with the filter on the right. The flow hit the bubbles and knocked them down towards the substrate.

On my current tank, i have an external diffuser, so the bubbles exit via the outlet. The travel about half way down the tank then start rising again.

It is hard to get it so the bubbles arent everywhere, unless you use a reactor in which case the bubbles will almost completley dissolve.

But currently, I can gaurantee you the CO2 will be diffusing in. If you are unsuure, take your DC and place it in different posts (like substrate level).

I think Tom Barr measured CO2 levels to be around 50ppm at the diffuser, 30ppm substrate, and 10ppm at the surface (when we aim for a green DC). So this is why it is important to have good flow.

Thanks for the reply!

I have about a 1 inch ceramic diffuser on my 55 gallon :crazy:, is this too small?

Well, I ran the CO2 system all night, and I woke up to a green DC! :hyper:

I turned the CO2 up a bit more, so when I get back from work I am hoping for a lime green DC! I have the Diffuser on the right side next to a powerhead, and the DC on the left side under the filter return.

When I woke up this morning, I found the surface of the water (right above the diffuser) littered with CO2 bubbles (like a white paste), is this normal?

Thanks!

-FHM

You will have to decide if its oo small judging on the surface area of the disc being used. Post a pic if you want and I can help.

As long as it isnt surface scum then yes it is fine.

Its hard to tell, but here is mine in the 60l, but you can tell that CO2 isnt being forced out over every little patch.

3148466168_37e7803fb0_b.jpg

Here is a video of my setup, I think I have maxed out my diffuser?

Sorry for the lighting, it was not the best but you should get the idea, lol.

Thanks!

-FHM

Since I have posted this video, I have moved the diffuser to the middle back of the tank where there is more water movement. I was able to turn the amount of CO2 entering the tank down a little bit, and the CO2 bubbles were not collecting at the surface as much.

-FHM

I know what you mean but the majority of the bubbles at the surface are combined with other gases, the vast majority of the co2 will have dissolved in the water before it burns off providing your using a good diffuser.

The obvious way to rid your tank of all the bubbles is to use a ladder diffuser but that's like replacing a knife with a spoon, you could try a turbo diffuser, i've never used one so i can't really comment but it could be worth looking into.

As long as your circulation is good then you shouldn't need to have your bubbles fed through a power head of filter, this way you can concentrate the bubbles to one small area.

If they really bug you a lot then i would suggest buying a ladder diffuser and disguising it with something, plants, rocks, moss wall etc. Just be sure there is still decent circulation around the ladder..

Well, I just ordered a larger CO2 diffuser, it is a 2 inch (5 cm) diameter. The one I have right now is not even an inch...lol.

-FHM

FHM, your CO2 bubbles looked larger than Aaron's. Is there any explanation for this? Did they seem smaller after you got the rate turned down a bit as you said?

I didn't see anyone answer one of your original questions (at least directly) about other methods. My understanding is that the two major methods are diffusers and reactors. One reactor method I remember being interested in after I read about George Farmer using it was where you put several plastic bioballs in a clear cylinder, inject CO2 from the side and splice the whole thing in to your cannister filter input line.

There must be downsides to it because I don't see many here doing it. Perhaps the CO2 can build into larger gas bubbles in the cannister filter and eventually stop the impeller from turning, just as when you need to reprime after a filter clean. Maybe Aaron can enlighten us.

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks WD!

Yes, the bubbles do seem a bit smaller after I turned it down a bit.

I ordered a larger diffuser, a lot larger lol, so hopefully that will solve my problem!

Thanks again, WD!

-FHM

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back