Question About Aquarium Salt

moritzbuesch

New Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2008
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi Guys,
I have a question which I hope someone will know how to answer. I have 3 mollies in my tanks and have quite a few other fish and I am thinking about adding some aquarium salt. I am also adding this because I fear my female krib has HITH (hole in the head) and I am worried about her.
I read that salt helps but I want to know if adding salt is dangerous for my other fish.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Regards,
Mo
 
I'm not sure what salt will do for hith,but salt will not hurt your mollies,in fact,in the wild as the mature they move into brackish (if not salt water).Alot of people notice mollies getting nasty and mean as they get older,most of this is probably due to the molly being stressed from lack of what in needs for salt in the water.

As far as most other fish,a small amount of salt added will not harm them.
 
Hi moritzbuesch :)

It depends on what kind of fish you have. I wouldn't recommend it if any of them are catfish or loaches. :D
 
As Inchworm said, it depends on what other fishes are in the tank. Small amounts of salt can be beneficial to some species, but detrimental to others.
Mollies can live in water without salt but do well with some in their water. If you have catfish, tetras, etc, then don't use salt. Instead increase the general hardness (GH) of the water so it is above 150ppm, preferably 200ppm +.

HITH is caused by poor environmental conditions, dirty gravel and filter, lack of water changes. Power Filters should be cleaned every month and the aquarium substrate should be gravel cleaned each week, along with a partial 30-50% water change at the same time.

If you think your Kribensis has HITH then try doing a partial (30-50%) water change and gravel clean each day for a week. Then see how the fish looks. If the problem doesn't clear up within a week or so after that, then it will probably need medicating.
 
Hi,
Thanks for the advice. I do 25-30% water changes weekly and make sure that the gravel gets well hoovered, but I will do them more frequently and clean out the filter also.
I think she has been quite stressed as she was rejected by a male krib who decided to partner up with the less dominant female but they have died since of a broken heart I think.
I will keep an eye on her but I do feel sorry for her.
Thanks again.
Moritz
 
when you clean the filter, wash the filter material in a bucket of tank water and not under the tap.
The filter case and motor can be washed under the tap.

When you hoover the substrate, do you just syphon the gunk off the top, or do you have a gravel cleaner and push it into the gravel to suck the gunk out of the gravel?
 
Hi mate,
Yes, I do wash all my filter foam in aquarium water and never in tap water, also I push the gravel cleaner right into the gravel to clean below..
 

Most reactions

Back
Top