Quest To Buy Mature Filter Media

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jeffm1000

Reaction score
There is nobody in my area on the donor list. I've called some local places and they won't sell any, they try to sell me cycle. I'm going to call a few more and offer cash for it. How much media do I need to get and how long do I have to get it in my tank before it's too late. I should have them put it in water right. Why do LFS's not know about this method to get a tank started?

Most LFS wont use media that will "fit" in your filter. They will use professional (VERY LARGE) filters and as such, will be reluctant to sell you media.

If you can find one that has an undergravel filter, you can (usually) buy some of that gravel, which acts as a filtration medium.

The sponges should be out of the water for no time, and out of circulation (i.e. not in an active filter) for as little as possible. Consider 30/60 mins a limit.

Ideally, you will put the filter media (sponges, etc) straight into your filter, but if that doesn't work/fit, squeeze the goo into your sponges, rub them together, mush them together, whatever works to transfer some bacteria from one to the other.

Also, be VERY carefull about chorine. It will instantly kill any and all bacteria, hence make sure all your water is wekk dechlorinated. Secondly, make sure you have a source of ammonia in your tank once you get the media or you will starve the bacteria (usually 12 hrs wihtout ammonia is enough to kill them all).

Hope this helps,
Michele

Hi jeffm1000 :)

If you can't find anyone to give you some filter material, your next best bet for a quick cycle is to get some Bio-Spira.

http://www.marineland.com/products/mllabs/ML_biospira.asp

This can be found at many independent lfs and must be kept under refrigeration until use. This is real bacteria, not just another product that claims to help the cycle along.

if you can't find bio spira then you can avoid hurting your fish by doing daily partial water changes. Or you can do daily tests and do a water change when your levels get too high.

I've often thought about that. If LFSs kept a few Whispers running, a few Aquaclears, and a few BioWheels, and (whatever else is popular) they could sell filter media when people came in to buy "starter fish". (No guarantee of course, cause if they get a dummy customer who lets the media dry out, or who washes it first in the sink they of course will lose what they just bought.) They could explain to customers that they can just get a few of the fish they actually want and sell them along with a seeded filter media of their type. No need for any more zebra danios to suffer!

I'm sure there might be a few things I've missed, on why this might not be feasible, and if anyone can think of any, feel free to point them out. One being perhaps there is no way they'd be able to keep enough stock on hand, as every single cartridge would need a filter of it's own, taking up a lot of space. And that each new one may take up to 2 weeks to fully seed. But it does seem like a pretty good idea worth examining.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back