Quarantine tank set up

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Its my first time actually setting up a quarantine tank and I thought I'd set up moss to grow in there. Use it as an aquascaping opportunity since my first tank wasn't started from scratch and I get to practice with this nano tank from scratch! 🤩👍

I'm curious though, when you set yours up, do you keep a filter on and keep it cycled constantly? Do you keep plants in there and keep lights on daily? Or do you just have the tank and fill it up with tank water and fresh water, and put a backup sponge filter from another main tank which is already cycled only when you'll use it for instance?

I watch someone on yt who said if you use a sponge filter running as secondary filter in the main tank, when you want to start a new tank you can just transfer the sponge filter for an instantly cycled tank. I thought maybe a quarantine tank as well then can use this secondary sponge filter.

Main reason for asking is, I don't think I'm the only person who would consider running a filter in a tank which has no fish or livestock in it most of the year if any at all, that might have a couple fish in it every couple of years, is a waste of electricity mainly. Also if I still do water changes and such, a waste of water and if I grow plants so quarantined fish can be comfortable, a further waste of electricity...

So to put it simply, do you keep your quarantine tank running or only set it up and use quick cycling methods when needed? (I guess also you can use prime and stability daily for instant cycling? This is what I learned from a yt channel I watch a lot too)

Please and thanks

I would set up a quarantine tank the day before I got new fish. I had spare filters or sponges running in other tanks and simply moved water and a filter from an established tank into the smaller quarantine tank. Add a heater and some plastic plants and go get fish the following day.

Other people do leave them set up permanently, however if you only plan on getting new fish occasionally, just set it up when you need it.

I would set up a quarantine tank the day before I got new fish. I had spare filters or sponges running in other tanks and simply moved water and a filter from an established tank into the smaller quarantine tank. Add a heater and some plastic plants and go get fish the following day.

Other people do leave them set up permanently, however if you only plan on getting new fish occasionally, just set it up when you need it.
Thanks. How do you quarantine plants and mosses then?

For me, I have never QTed a plant or a moss. I have never had disease or parasite transmission through one. Snails or hydra, yes, but nothing else. It could have been luck, but so far in over 50 years there has been zero problem.

I never QT in a nano tank. The tank has to be large enough for the fish to live in comfortably, or I risk causing illness and not simply spotting it. I run spare filters on tanks and bring them over as needed.

Thanks. How do you quarantine plants and mosses then?
I didn't quarantine my plants but I got them form a plant supplier that grew them out of water, and we had separate plant tanks at the shop so the plants were never exposed to fish.

Having said that, most people don't have that luxury and plants can be put into bare tanks with a light, heater and straight tap water. The chlorine/ chloramine will kill some disease organisms and if you leave the plants isolated for 2-4 weeks, they should be free of anything.

Most reactions

Back