QT

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fish_newbie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
is a QT REALLY necessary? ..cause i dont have much money right now and my tanks ready for fish ..maybe i should wait till i can get one? ..but if i do need one ..what would be the minimum size for a QT

thanks! :D

It's not necessary, but if you don't quarantine new fish, obviously you run the risk of infecting all your fish to an incoming disease.

However, it sounds like you've just done a fishless cycle and are now ready to add fish. If that's the case, then there's really nothing to protect, so quarantine isn't needed.

And, for info, the minimum size of a QT tank would depend on the size and number of fish you put in it. 10 gallons is a popular size (especially if disease does show up, as most medicines are dosed for 10 gallons of water).

My best advise for qt is to get a 10 gal plastic container (that has never had anything else in it), a small air pump, and a airation stone. Top price is about 25 bucks at WalMart. This is what I did initially and it worked great (I only spent 14 bucks for all of it). I still use my plastic container for making my water. The only bad thing about this is that you can only use it for about two weeks because there is no filter, but at WalMart there is a small carbon filter used for the 2 gal tanks that help this somewhat, of course thats another 10 bucks. But its much better than spending 200 bucks for a good hospital tank (plus filter) right away. Another way around spending the money on an air pump (the most expensive part of this plastic set up) is that if you already have an air pump on your regular tank, get a split valve (also available at WalMart). These are only a couple of bucks making your top price about 10 bucks. Hope this helps. And no, plastic wont kill your fish (I know that sounded absurd but I actually asked that question when I was told to do this method, Sometimes I'm an air head) :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back