Python Clean & Fill Water Changers

I bought a python a few months ago, So far it seems to work pretty well. I bought a digital temp gauge to go with it; I check the tank temp before I begin, use cold water to do all of the siphoning, and then adjust the temp to within a few tenths of a degree to do the fill. It can take a little bit of playing around, but it's way easier than the bucket method.

I've had 2 problems. the first involved a few bits of plastic plants that got sucked up; the didn't make it all the way through, so I had to take everything apart to remove them from the valve. The second problem was a bit too much pressure in the line (filling the tank). When I closed the valve on the python (the one near the gravel tube) the pressure built up in the system, and caused the joint near the faucet to break apart. I only had the faucet open 1/3 to 1/2 so I don't know if it was my fault / poor assembly, or if that's just the way things go. Now I just leave the fill tube in the tank, and I shut the faucet off when the tank is full. I only use the valve on the Python to stop the suction.

:p Hopefully my python will arrive tomorrow, so ill see how good it is.

I will add the de chlorine stuff before filling back up. and normall drain 80ltrs then fill up with cold tap water, doesnt seem to bother the fish too much at all, and only drops the tank down by a few degrees.

As for knowing how much to drain, i originally drained my tank into 20 ltrs containers, and marked the side of the tank down in 20ltr levels, so i have a mark for 20, 40 80 and 100ltrs. so i just drain down to whatever mark i want to change.

easy B)

I am in the uk too and I think I also have the Lees Ultimate Blah de Blah. I will check the price I paid for it tonight, or PM me if you need to know - it was better than I was expecting.
I have only used it 4-5 times since getting it as we had to 'adapt' it to go onto our tap. This product is definitely made for the USA market and thier faucets rather than good ole british taps!

The principle they use is really very simple; the water from your tap rushes through the 'valve' and straight down the sink/drain. This water is wasted. As the water rushes through the valve and past the end of the syphon tube it creates suction on the tube and draws the water from the tank out, down the tube, and down the drain along with the wasted tap water. :) If you have a gravel cleaner attached to the tanl end of the tube you can suck all the poop off of the gravel at the same time. :) :)
To refill the tank you simply twist the bottom of the valve to 'shut' it and then the water from your tap is directed along the tube to the tank instead of out of the bottom of the valve. You will be adding cold, chlorine water to the tank so be aware of this. I have found that a 20-25% water change will drop the water temp in my tank by 2 degrees but this will vary with the temperature of your supply water.

Dechlorinator can be measured out before you start and added as the new water is added back in. I have marked (discreetly) the 25% level on the tank so I know how much I am changing and therefore how much stuff to add.

For all you UK residents - PM me if you need to know how to adapt the valve to a UK outside tap as the threads on all these gadgets are american and they will not fit out taps.

Finger tips now sore - no more info till I've had a cuppa!

Cava :fish:

I've had mine since 1990 , and yes sometimes it will spray water at the sink , sometimes things need to be adjusted or simply tightened , and this is nothing compared to all the water that was dripped through out my house before the Python ,you just need to be aware that this can happen. Anything over 30 gal [I.M.O] justifies a Python ,esp if you have multiple tanks .

I think it's much easier on my fish , then dumping pots or buckets of water in the tank , though I'm sure there are other alternatives , this was mine .

Anything to make more time for viewing and less time doing maintenance , is good .

Never heard of the Lee's Ultimate Gravel Vac kit.

Is that only available in the USA as well. I managed to get my 25foot python plus 25foot extended (ie a 50ft one) for under £40. Couldnt find it cheaper anywhere else at all.

Lucky USA dudes.!!!! :p

No idea on where people ca source the Lees or the Python in the UK - I told my LFS what I wanted and they got the one they could from their supplier. Mine was under £40 for a 50fter as well.

Another tip - as my tank is tall (24") the gravel syphon supplied was no good so I replaced with my old one. It has a flap in the top that only allows water one way so as you can pump it up and down in the tank to start the syphon instead of sucking on the tube :sick: DO NOT REVERSE THE FLOW TO REFIL THE TANK WITH THIS IN PLACE as it blows the joint apart and drowns your room!! :crazy:

Most reactions

Back