🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Alurny

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me how they work?
Anyone with any experience with them?
Are they worth the investment?

Cheers

They work b/c when you connect it to your faucet and turn your water on (valve open), it forms a vaccuum that sucks the water from your tank. Then, to fill the tank, close the valve and the water flows into the tank.

If you've ever had a waterbed, the python valve is very similar to the one used for waterbeds.

I've had mine for quite a few months now and I love it. For me, it's worth every penny b/c it means I'm not lugging buckets of water that inevitably splash all over the place!

Well worth it from what I hear, Im thinking about picking one up this week. The python sucks the water up so you can clean the gravel then can be switched to pump water into your tank.

You add the dechlorinator in the water after the water has been pumped into the tank.

And that works? I'd think, even only being in there for a short time, that the chlorine would do some damage to the beneficial bacteria that's in the tank.

TorPeteO said:
And that works? I'd think, even only being in there for a short time, that the chlorine would do some damage to the beneficial bacteria that's in the tank.
I add declor sometimes 10-20 minutes after i use the python and i have no problems

I put in the dechlor before I add the water.

I bought the Lee's Ultimate Gravel Vac kit and I like everything besides the styrainer thing on the gravel tube. Was 10 bucks cheaper too.

Please buy it online, I priced them and Petco's 50 footer is $35 more expensive than at http://www.planetaquaria.com. I recommend that site over Big Al's, everything's a few dollars cheaper, and I've ordered from them twice (you can pay using Paypal).

Edit: Fixed the link

I dump the dechlorinator in just before I refill the tank. Pythons are definitely worth the investment, specially if you have large tanks.

My friend has added the decholrinator after he pumps the water into the tank and hasnt lost 1 fish.

can you manually stop them, seen as though my tank is going to be 64 litres im going to be removing 16 litres, how will i know when i got the right amount in. So u clean the gravel whilst removing water. With a small tank i guess i do it it sections. How do i avoid taking up my fish? Will they "run away" ? do you wash your hands before u put them in? How do you do it without water"spilling over"? Cheers, oh and do they fit on most taps especially uk ones?

what i wonder is how do you get the water at the right temp when adding it in?

do you mess with the faucet until the temp is good or do you just try to set it to about correct temp? Or is there an easier way?

yes temperature never thought of that, i guess its easier with buckets! How do you get the right temp with buckets?

dothedew said:
I put in the dechlor before I add the water.

I bought the Lee's Ultimate Gravel Vac kit and I like everything besides the styrainer thing on the gravel tube. Was 10 bucks cheaper too.
I got the Lee's ultimate gravel vac too. I also hated the stupid cage thing on the end so I cut it off.
I mix the dechlor up in a cup of water then add some before I start filling, and then the other half as Im filling. Just try not to direct the new water towards the filter intake.( thats what someone told me anyway) It is Definately worth the money. I can do all 3 of my tanks now in the same time it used to take me to do one carrying buckets. :D

Most reactions

Back