Putting 55g Upstairs Advice

hopkigg

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 24, 2009
Messages
118
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi, I am getting a new 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hopefully? But anyway at the moment i have a 55g 4ft tank which i would still want to keep so was wondering if it will be able to be put in my bedroom upstairs or if it would be too heavy for the floorboards.
 
Hi, I am getting a new 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hopefully? But anyway at the moment i have a 55g 4ft tank which i would still want to keep so was wondering if it will be able to be put in my bedroom upstairs or if it would be too heavy for the floorboards.

I've got an 80G in my living room and its a first floor flat. Doubt you will have any problems.
 
Hi, I am getting a new 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hopefully? But anyway at the moment i have a 55g 4ft tank which i would still want to keep so was wondering if it will be able to be put in my bedroom upstairs or if it would be too heavy for the floorboards.

I've got an 80G in my living room and its a first floor flat. Doubt you will have any problems.


but is your floor made out of concrete most flats are or use RSJ's where a room in a house is normally wooden beams

altho the beams could easily hold the weight if spread over 3 or 4
 
hi i have a 5 x 2 x 2 in my bedroom on floor boards so i should be ok
really 1 way to find out DO IT LOL
 
Hi, I am getting a new 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hopefully? But anyway at the moment i have a 55g 4ft tank which i would still want to keep so was wondering if it will be able to be put in my bedroom upstairs or if it would be too heavy for the floorboards.

I've got an 80G in my living room and its a first floor flat. Doubt you will have any problems.


but is your floor made out of concrete most flats are or use RSJ's where a room in a house is normally wooden beams

altho the beams could easily hold the weight if spread over 3 or 4

True it is. As you say though. Distribute the weight over a few cross beams and you should be sorted.
 
Again I have a 55g upstairs (house upside down) my other half checked the floor boords first and found where the joists ran, they had already been strengthened at some point, so we made sure it sat across 4 joists.
 
I have a 55 gal 4f long upstairs of my house. there are safer places to put a large tank. Against load baring walls is a good place. A bad place would be in the middle of a large room that does not have a reenforced floor. mine is against a load baring outside wall and it is fine.
 
Houses are all different. I wouldn't risk the carnage of a tank coming through a ceiling for the sake of saving a few bob on a structural report.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top