Puffer Tank Thick Green/black Algae

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ruth28

Reaction score
I've had my puffer fish for about a year now no trouble apart from brown algae at the start which soon cleared up. But for the past 8 months i've been battling every 3 weeks to scrap films of algae of the glass of the tank with a stanley knife blade, it just keeps coming back, he is in no sunlight and i have even resorted to turning of his light for good, which i know isn't a good idea, but i don't know what to do, i tried adding a solution that rids tanks of algaes. It doesn't really settle on anything else a little on the rocks but no big deal and a bit on the heater, but the glass is thick please can someone tell me how to stop it i can't keep doing this the tank only looks nice for about 3 days then it starts again. I would appreciate any help, thanks in advance. Ruth :(

Is it just normal algae or is it kind of hairy?

If it's normal algae you could get yourself an Ottocinclus, it would be ok in the tank and it loves algae :)

I got one a few weeks back and my tank looks like new, he's a remorsless algae eating machine!

They are quite small too, so it's not like you'd be buying a big fish.

What kind of puffer is it? Is it in brackish water or freshwater?

Best solution to removing algae is to use lots of fast growing plants to use up all the nutrients so that the algae cant grow

Thanks for your help, its not hairy its just like a thick slime that comes of in ribbons and its a figure 8 puffer i read that you couldm't put ANYTHING in the tank as he would just kill it. As for plants neaver really had real ones so wouldn't know where to start.

Plants in a brackish tank can differ quite a lot from the salt content. Only a few available species of plant will thrive in brackish waters. And figure 8's are herbivores right?

My advice would be to just buy a magnetic glass scraper and deal with it - the algae film building up on the glass isn't that much of a problem apart from looks anyway, plus it takes seconds to scrape off.

Paul.

The tank isn't brackish its freshwater, to be honest ive tried the glass cleaners it doesn't shift it i need to use a blade, it just builds up so quick. there has got to be a reason i have another tank just a community and it is in more direct light and doesn't suffer from badly algae at all even tried swapping tank positions over and sure enough it is still the puffer tank that comes off worse

First of all thank you for that site it was helpfull as i was told they were not brascish not that i can see a problem as he is happy enough. Secondly i think that was very rude of you i have been a fish keeper for nearly ten years now and i posted the question on why i was having trouble with algae not on whether my fish was brackish or not and for someone to implie i know nothing about my fish, i can only go on what i have read. theres was no need to be sarcastic!!! :angry:

I am sorry if I offended you, although I was simply suggesting that you had a look at the Figure 8 puffer information on this forum.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was only implying that you have the power of the internet, which allows you the power of research. And when it comes to living things whom we care for, our research should be detailed as to give them the best chance at being happy.

A word of warning for the future, pet shops and fish stores don't tend to give out the best advice for the fish, only for their pocket.

If you want to care for animals, the best thing to do is research yourself and compare hundreds of views rather than taking one persons word for it.

I am sorry once again if I offended you in any way, it just gets a little tedious when people have fish with obvious special requirements plus the ability to go online - but don't use one for the other.

Paul.

please also be advised that f8s are well known to live longer, look better, and have stronger immune systems when kept in a brackish environment.

what size tank do you have, how often do you do waterchanges, what % of water do you change out, and how often/what do you feed?

most algae problems result from the buildup of excess nutrients in the water column. getting those under control is really the first step.

Ok im sorry i jumped the gun it was just the way your reply came across! I have got quite a detailed book in there it says that they can be either brackish or fresh and with the fish shop saying they had him in fresh i thought it would be harsh to change it.
To be honest with you i'm not hundred % sure of size i think its about 10gals, it a Aqua 40, comes with a light fitted in hood, if that helps. He is fed every day with half a prawn or every other day with a cockle as that seems to last him ages, would that make any difference to the algae, that would be the only thing i could say was different to my other tank.

Water changes every 2 weeks about 30%

Sorry about that, putting expression into typing is difficult - just a mis-understanding

As suggested you could use live plants, and feed them as well to help use the nutrients that the algae needs. Fast growing plants like elodia are perfect for battling annoying algae - although you'll need a hefty bunch to make a difference.

Are you going to convert the tank to brackish?

Paul.

I'm not sure about the planting ive never really like them and i wouldn't know where to start is there any other way, anything that can be added to the water to use up this nutrient. As for the brackish again i wouldn't know where to start and surely changing him now when he is ok would upset him.

There are some other ways, but they involve chemicals and I wouldn't want to recommend any as I disagree with adding chems to a habitat if there's not a severe problem.

Your f8 might look happy now, but you will be doing him a favour by slowly converting his tank to brackish water. Look it up with google, and I'm sure you'll find some info to help you.

Paul.

we've actually got some really good guides about converting a tank to brackish in the Brackish section (scroll down the front page a bit and you'll see the forum i'm specifying.)

depending on his size, you may be over-feeding him but i rather doubt it. try changing 15%-20% every week and see if that helps.

Most reactions

Back