Puffer fish species?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Daltino

Reaction score
I bought this pea puffer that was marked as a dwarf puffer fish at my LPS. I currently have a 10 gallon half moon for it. Soon i came to realize that it looked different from normal pea puffers that i saw online. Could anyone help me figure out what species of puffer it is, and what tank size would be appropriate for it.

Pictures attached below:

15954696893948964761205048139286.jpg
15954696000515813945506503541678.jpg
20200722_215232.jpg

I bought this pea puffer that was marked as a dwarf puffer fish at my LPS. I currently have a 10 gallon half moon for it. Soon i came to realize that it looked different from normal pea puffers that i saw online. Could anyone help me figure out what species of puffer it is, and what tank size would be appropriate for it.

Pictures attached below:

View attachment 110491View attachment 110488View attachment 110490
A good salinity is 1.010 for it, yet juvenile fish can tolerate freshwater. If your going to keep it (which I recommend as they're full of personality) a 20 gallon will be large enough to accommodate one but a 23 gallon would be even better as they get to be around 8cm, shellfish is a must with this fish as the beak grows and regularly needs to be fed shellfish to keep 'trim' back the beak, crab legs, snails will work. A small canister may be needed because of this but may not be necessary just pick up the best deal you can find for a larger filter. Does look like it's in nice condition, you could use the 10g as a grow out and set up the 20g in the meantime, waiting for it to cycle.

A good salinity is 1.010 for it, yet juvenile fish can tolerate freshwater. If your going to keep it (which I recommend as they're full of personality) a 20 gallon will be large enough to accommodate one but a 23 gallon would be even better as they get to be around 8cm, shellfish is a must with this fish as the beak grows and regularly needs to be fed shellfish to keep 'trim' back the beak, crab legs, snails will work. A small canister may be needed because of this but may not be necessary just pick up the best deal you can find for a larger filter. Does look like it's in nice condition, you could use the 10g as a grow out and set up the 20g in the meantime, waiting for it to cycle.
How long do you say in able to keep it in a 10 gallon. I do have a 20 gallon thats currently being occupied by a hamster but ive been contemplating moving it for awhile now so i can use the 20 gallon for fish. Also, ive been feeding the puffer brine shrimp regularly so do you have a reccomendation on what type of filter would be good for the 20 gallon and also what type of snails i should get? Im also having trouble finding aquarium salt so do you have any recommendations for that as well?

How long do you say in able to keep it in a 10 gallon. I do have a 20 gallon thats currently being occupied by a hamster but ive been contemplating moving it for awhile now so i can use the 20 gallon for fish. Also, ive been feeding the puffer brine shrimp regularly so do you have a reccomendation on what type of filter would be good for the 20 gallon and also what type of snails i should get? Im also having trouble finding aquarium salt so do you have any recommendations for that as well?

Firstly, marine salt is what you're looking for and a hydrometer (mixing water sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is). I've seen ramshorns being gobbled up by them and they breed fast enough. A large HOB whatever you prefer, or a canister for that size tank or larger (if you can get a good deal on one). I can't recommend any gear since I'm from NZ and you probably have far more options over there.

I grew one for well over a year along time ago. It made it to 6"? in pure freshwater..until it developed a balance problem. I took it to a vet!..she deflated the swimbladder,I gave it antibiotics..and it still died. THAT was a hard one to take.
Looking back..it probably needed as it grew larger,salt. This was pre internet and everything was books and magazines. PRIMITIVE.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back