Pseudomugil Furcatas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi
Furcatas, I picked up 2m 3f today! Because of poor handling and my clumsiness, I actually think I killed one of the males!!! So nowI have 1 new Male and 3 new Female in QT.
Jealous!

But apparently, I am a fish mangler.
He was fine when I took those pictures.
I wonder what I did? :(:(:(
Could the others have been picking on him?

Don't bother getting another male. 1 male can service 3 females.

Rainbowfish can stress out quite a lot when they are being caught and transported home. If the person at the shop chases the fish around the tank, it can stress the fish and they can die on the way home or shortly after you add them to the tank.

If there is a major change in water chemistry (pH, GH, KH) between the shop tank and your tank, it can kill the fish.

The best thing to do with all new rainbowfish, is add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of tank water, to their tank before you get them home. Keep the salt in their tank for the first 2 weeks you have them. Then reduce the salt level with small daily water changes.

Don't bother getting another male. 1 male can service 3 females.

Rainbowfish can stress out quite a lot when they are being caught and transported home. If the person at the shop chases the fish around the tank, it can stress the fish and they can die on the way home or shortly after you add them to the tank.

If there is a major change in water chemistry (pH, GH, KH) between the shop tank and your tank, it can kill the fish.

The best thing to do with all new rainbowfish, is add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of tank water, to their tank before you get them home. Keep the salt in their tank for the first 2 weeks you have them. Then reduce the salt level with small daily water changes.
Well, I set up the QT tank with just the water from the store and about 10% of the water from the current 6g Furcata tank.

After QT I plan to move all 10 to a cycled and running 10g. I plan on hopefully getting some fry in that tank

I went to get a large bunch of Water Sprite and they had new stock. I just had to get more, mostly as a response to all the feedback about breeding them.
If the reminder of the fish make it over the next couple of days I'll be in the clear.

Can't wait till tomorrow!

Keep the new fish quarantined for 1 month, then move the adults out and see how many babies pop up in their tank.

Keep the new fish quarantined for 1 month, then move the adults out and see how many babies pop up in their tank.
I'm not sure I understand.
They are all juveniles.

I do have a 2m 3f adult tank established, with the Water Sprite, etc. That is the original tank in which the riskiness occurred.
Are you saying after a month add those adults to the new QT tank I just set up for the juvies?

"The best thing to do with all new rainbowfish, is add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of tank water, to their tank before you get them home. Keep the salt in their tank for the first 2 weeks you have them. Then reduce the salt...)"

@Colin_T
I didn't get this in time for salt.
Should I still add?
Also, they are in QT with 2 new CPDs...

Here are the frisky adults
20200410_182955_001.jpg
20200410_182642_002.jpg

All new fish should be kept separate in a quarantine tank for the first 4 weeks before being added to a display tank. This stops new diseases being brought into the main display tank.

After 4 weeks, you can move the new fish out of the quarantine tank and add them to the main display tank. If you didn't quarantine the new fish, disregard this.

--------------
If you can sex fish, they can breed.

--------------
You can add salt to the tank with the new fish and keep salt in with them for 2 weeks. It will kill any gill flukes and some external protozoan infections, if they have any.

The dose rate of 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water is fine for all fish.

All new fish should be kept separate in a quarantine tank for the first 4 weeks before being added to a display tank. This stops new diseases being brought into the main display tank.

After 4 weeks, you can move the new fish out of the quarantine tank and add them to the main display tank. If you didn't quarantine the new fish, disregard this.

--------------
If you can sex fish, they can breed.

--------------
You can add salt to the tank with the new fish and keep salt in with them for 2 weeks. It will kill any gill flukes and some external protozoan infections, if they have any.

The dose rate of 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water is fine for all fish.
All meaning all? :)
CPD, too?
Does aquarium salt go bad?
Yes, btw, I have 2 CPDs-and 1m 2f Furcata
all in QT together, all bought at same time.
The 3 Furcata are well bonded and very active
The CPDs are more shy. I tried for 2f but I think I may have one of each. Keeping an eye on the Male he looks a bit weary...but got a good meal in all of them so I can't wait to see them later!

Any and all new fish should be quarantined for a month to stop them potentially introducing new diseases into an established tank. If you don't quarantine new fish, they can introduce a disease into your tanks and then you have to treat those tanks that contain the older established fish.

You don't have to quarantine any fish but if you don't, there is a good chance your current fish will get sick from diseases that are brought in with the new fish.

-------------------
Celestial pearl danios need to be kept in groups of 10 or more.

-------------------
Salt (sodium chloride) does not go off, however, if it gets wet, it will melt. It can absorb moisture from the air in humid areas. But assuming it stays dry and dust free, it will last 100+ years.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back