Pseudo gravidity spot of platy male

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xipo817

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I crossed below white mickey platy and blue tuxedo platy and gained only male offspring.
DSCN5623.JPG

There were two types of male.
DSCN5617.JPG

Type 1.Blue tuxedo mickey mouse.
1645342565056.png

Type 2. Blue mickey mouse.
Look close at their anal. They have pseudo gravidity spot(PGS).
As tuxedo is sex chromosome linked and only non-tuxedo male exhibited this trait I thought PGS might be also sex chromosome linked.
And there's something interesting about them.
The type2 (non-tuxedo) don't try to mate with female(white mickey bought at an aquarium shop) at all!
Compared to type 1 male (They tries to mate as if they are harassing female) this is abnormal.
Does anyone have some experience like this?

With platies, you need to be sure wether it's pseudo gravid spot or a real gravid spot because it use to be a female. Most male platies that will show a pseudo gravid spot, will develop them in the skin as juveniles or close to adulthood. Once it appears, it will never fade.
Females that have turned into male will always keep the gravid spot shown. But these must have a W sex chromosome unlike real males with a pseudo gravid spot. Platies are not the only livebearers that can develop a pseudo gravid spot. And I'm not talking about the commercial known livebearers but other wild livebearer species.

With platies, you need to be sure wether it's pseudo gravid spot or a real gravid spot because it use to be a female. Most male platies that will show a pseudo gravid spot, will develop them in the skin as juveniles or close to adulthood. Once it appears, it will never fade.
Females that have turned into male will always keep the gravid spot shown. But these must have a W sex chromosome unlike real males with a pseudo gravid spot. Platies are not the only livebearers that can develop a pseudo gravid spot. And I'm not talking about the commercial known livebearers but other wild livebearer species.
Sorry for replying this late.
I've been stuck in bed with cold(not covid19 ).
I didn't know that females turned into males keep gravid spot.
This platy(type 2) showed the spot after they gained gonopodium.
But it was late compared to type 1.
I wonder what is happening.

Sorry for replying this late.
I've been stuck in bed with cold(not covid19 ).
I didn't know that females turned into males keep gravid spot.
This platy(type 2) showed the spot after they gained gonopodium.
But it was late compared to type 1.
I wonder what is happening.
Hi, this is a very belated reply. I must have overseen it. Male platies don't always show the male characteristics at the same age. The age that male characteristics and a pseudo gravid spot is shown, differs per individual male. It's just that at the earliest, a male platy will develop a pseudo gravid spot when being a juvenile or later. Very young males won't show it.

Most reactions

trending

Back