PROJECT ZEBRA PLECOS!!!

Kevzebraplec

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is something a bit different for me and Iā€™m hoping all my experience of keeping a large successful marine aquarium will help me to be successful in keeping and rearing my healthy 4 juvenile zebra plecos I have at the moment soon to be followed up by another 3 that are due to come to me in the next week and I am also looking for another 3 to bring my total up to 10 then thatā€™s my lot. I did have the 4 (only 1ā€) in a 57L fluval flex but today I have just set up my new fluval Roma 90L with an Eheim Professional 4+ 250T and Eheim 200 air pump. The flow rate is 900 litres an hour and the temp is set at 28 degrees. At the moment they are really happy even in the small fluval flex but it seems quite big for them considering their size. I donā€™t see them in the day but as soon as I put in the ebo aquaristik softpro mussel they are all over it. They look happy and healthy and Iā€™m sure theyā€™re gonna love their new tank and their new clay caves. Any help or pointers would be truly grateful as the care of these amazing fish is my first priority and concern but I think we are off to a good start, I hope ;) many thanks.

All suckermouth catfish should have access to driftwood. They graze on it and it helps their digestion.

You can have the lights on for a bit longer to encourage green algae to grow on the glass. If you don't want to do that, set up a container of water outside in the sun. Put some smooth rocks, ornaments or glass in the water and let algae grow on it. Then move one or two pieces into the tank for the fish to graze on. Swap the items over each week or whenever they are clean.

Feed the fish a variety of foods so they don't suffer from malnutrition, and so they don't become addicted to one type of food.

-----------------------------
Do big (75%) regular water changes and gravel clean the substrate every week. If you have water restrictions then do a water change and gravel clean every 2 weeks.

You do water changes for 2 main reasons.
1) to reduce nutrients like ammonia, nitrite & nitrate.
2) to dilute disease organisms in the water.

Fish live in a soup of microscopic organisms including bacteria, fungus, viruses, protozoans, worms, flukes and various other things that make your skin crawl. Doing a big water change and gravel cleaning the substrate on a regular basis will dilute these organisms and reduce their numbers in the water, thus making it a safer and healthier environment for the fish.

If you do a 25% water change each week you leave behind 75% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 50% water change each week you leave behind 50% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 75% water change each week you leave behind 25% of the bad stuff in the water.

Fish live in their own waste. Their tank and filter is full of fish poop. The water they breath is filtered through fish poop. Cleaning filters, gravel and doing big regular water changes, removes a lot of this poop and makes the environment cleaner and healthier for the fish.

All suckermouth catfish should have access to driftwood. They graze on it and it helps their digestion.

You can have the lights on for a bit longer to encourage green algae to grow on the glass. If you don't want to do that, set up a container of water outside in the sun. Put some smooth rocks, ornaments or glass in the water and let algae grow on it. Then move one or two pieces into the tank for the fish to graze on. Swap the items over each week or whenever they are clean.

Feed the fish a variety of foods so they don't suffer from malnutrition, and so they don't become addicted to one type of food.

-----------------------------
Do big (75%) regular water changes and gravel clean the substrate every week. If you have water restrictions then do a water change and gravel clean every 2 weeks.

You do water changes for 2 main reasons.
1) to reduce nutrients like ammonia, nitrite & nitrate.
2) to dilute disease organisms in the water.

Fish live in a soup of microscopic organisms including bacteria, fungus, viruses, protozoans, worms, flukes and various other things that make your skin crawl. Doing a big water change and gravel cleaning the substrate on a regular basis will dilute these organisms and reduce their numbers in the water, thus making it a safer and healthier environment for the fish.

If you do a 25% water change each week you leave behind 75% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 50% water change each week you leave behind 50% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 75% water change each week you leave behind 25% of the bad stuff in the water.

Fish live in their own waste. Their tank and filter is full of fish poop. The water they breath is filtered through fish poop. Cleaning filters, gravel and doing big regular water changes, removes a lot of this poop and makes the environment cleaner and healthier for the fish.
Thanks for the advice

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back