160L stocking advice begginer

Fisbguy1

Reaction score
Hi, I have bought a 160L 4ft aquarium I am soon to be setting up, I already have some tropical fish I will list below.

10 cardinal tetras
6 zebra Danios
3 golden gourmai
3 peppered corydoras
1 yoyo loach
1 Chinese algae loach
1 green phantom pleco

The tanks will be filtered with fluval 307 and 107 i already have spray bar on one and the standard fitting is on the other. Air pump will also be on.

I would also like to add once tank is cycled and well established

2-4 dwarf flag fish
1-3 keyhole cichlids
1 yoyo loach
Some dension barbs
Possibly 3 more coydoras

Any advice would be great and other stocking ideas

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

----------------------

Yoyo loaches need to be in groups of 6 or more. If you have 2 and they are females, the dominant one will probably kill the other one.

Do you have a picture or scientific name of the Chinese algae loach?
If it's a Chinese algae eater (Gyrinocheilus aymonieri), they grow to a foot long and kill things when they mature.

Zebra danios do best in cool water (16-25C), whereas most of the other fishes you want prefer it a little warmer (24-26C). If danios are kept in warm water all the time the females become egg bound and they get fat and can't breed. It doesn't kill them but isn't good for them.

If you have more than 1 male gold gourami, they will fight. If you post a picture of the gouramis, we should be able to sex them for you.

Last edited:
Tank is 48"long by 12" width by 18" height 160l

The algae loach I have had for a few years and has matured just your general loach same as Google images very peaceful great fish

Zebra danios I already have maybe I could balance the tank at 25c or setup a smaller tank for dainos.

The gourmais do occasionally chase each other nothing like when I first put them in was going to take them back the pet store but added and rearranged the hardscape and they have all settled two pair up alot the not but not always just hoping the new aquarium is okay it's a downsize

Most reactions

Back