Problem with my goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Southern fishes

Reaction score
My goldfish is approx 5 yrs old and it has always had small lumps on its skin even as a small fish. Lately these lumps are growing as is the photos can anyone tell me what these are and is they are treatable. I have recently moved and wondering if it is the water

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_174625.jpg
    IMG_20210429_174625.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 74
More pictures please.

I could be the koi herpes virus. If it is, there is no cure for it, but it doesn't normally kill the fish either.

---------------
Make sure the fish get fed lots of plant matter and other foods.

Do big regular water changes and gravel clean the substrate.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Make sure the filter is cleaned regularly (at least once a month). Don't throw the filter media out, just wash it in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. The bucket of dirty water can go on the lawn.

More pictures please.

I could be the koi herpes virus. If it is, there is no cure for it, but it doesn't normally kill the fish either.

---------------
Make sure the fish get fed lots of plant matter and other foods.

Do big regular water changes and gravel clean the substrate.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Make sure the filter is cleaned regularly (at least once a month). Don't throw the filter media out, just wash it in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. The bucket of dirty water can go on the lawn.
The fish is a comet. The water is very alkaline here and I will get some chlorine fix. Thanks
My goldfish is approx 5 yrs old and it has always had small lumps on its skin even as a small fish. Lately these lumps are growing as is the photos can anyone tell me what these are and is they are treatable. I have recently moved and wondering if it is the water

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_174702.jpg
    IMG_20210429_174702.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 67
Thank you for the advise, the water is very alkaline and no I didn't put chlorine free in the tank so I'll get this fixed. The fish is a long tailed comet. The other fish, its sister, same age, does not have these lumps. Cheers yvette

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_174709.jpg
    IMG_20210429_174709.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 61
goldfish, including comets, common, shubunkins and fantails can all get the koi herpes virus (aka koi pox).

Thank you for the advise, the water is very alkaline and no I didn't put chlorine free in the tank so I'll get this fixed. The fish is a long tailed comet. The other fish, its sister, same age, does not have these lumps. Cheers yvette

goldfish, including comets, common, shubunkins and fantails can all get the koi herpes virus.
goldfish, including comets, common, shubunkins and fantails can all get the koi herpes virus.

Ok thanks, I had no idea. Appreciate your advise

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_174619.jpg
    IMG_20210429_174619.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 68
KHV does not manifest in goldfish like this. KHV is not treatable and any fish confirmed to have it should be euthanized. Once again though, it doesn't manifest in goldfish this way.

Your fish is older and red pigmented. Tumors are extremely common on older fish. They seem especially common on red pigmented fish. He doesn't need treatment. If the tumors get large enough to affect him, they can be removed surgically but will often grow back. I say to just leave him alone for now. The photos aren't super clear but they look like growths.

That is NOT KHV. Repeat it is NOT KHV. Treating him and the water is highly unlikely to make a difference.

KHV does not manifest in goldfish like this. KHV is not treatable and any fish confirmed to have it should be euthanized. Once again though, it doesn't manifest in goldfish this way.

Your fish is older and red pigmented. Tumors are extremely common on older fish. They seem especially common on red pigmented fish. He doesn't need treatment. If the tumors get large enough to affect him, they can be removed surgically but will often grow back. I say to just leave him alone for now. The photos aren't super clear but they look like growths.

That is NOT KHV. Repeat it is NOT KHV. Treating him and the water is highly unlikely to make a difference.
Thanks and I'll getter better picture for you

The growths could be lymphocystis or just age related. Goldfish cannot get KHV the way Koi do and if exposed to KHV, though they are thought to be able to transfer the virus to Koi - it does not manifest like this in goldfish. KHV - as it's name implies, is a disease affecting Koi. The type of carp that the Koi descends from is different than the type of carp the goldfish descends from and KHV has virtually no effect on goldfish.

There is little that can be done here either way. Just clean water and good nutrition. If the growths get large enough to hinder the fish, they can be removed, BUT they will likely return, especially if viral in nature.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back