Problem With Aggressive Female Bolivian Ram

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alm0stAwesome

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I've got 1 female and two male bolivian rams in my 180L community tank. My problem is the female is constantly picking fights with the two males. I have never witnessed the males picking on each other or the males starting on the female however there is a general tension between them at all times so sometimes it's hard to tell who started it as there's a lot of posturing going on. The two males seem to have picked out their separate spots in the tank and are content to just stay there (also I don't think my female gives them much choice but to stay put), the female on the other hand is always going into the males' territory for a bit of lip lock action. She is also picking fights with my betta and he fights back :crazy:

There has been some very minor fin damage on both her and my younger male but nothing to be really concerned about. They have only been in the tank for 3 weeks so my questions are:

1) Have they just not had enough time to sort things out?
2) Should I rehome the female as the males seem happy to co-exist?
3) Should I try adding another female?
4) Should I try the "time-out" method that I've seen some others use? How would I go about this?

I know this is unusual as it's usually the other way around and hey, maybe I am imagining things as it does seem strange but I'd really appreicate your input. If I've left anything out, please let me know! :good:

I've gave you some and you have chosen to ignore me! :rolleyes:

I would set up a little storage box with a filter and heater and put her in that for a week.

^^^ Yes. This would work. Then while shes gone, add another female. ! Rams are awesome!

I agree in adding another female certainly wont hurt. Maybe she is being harassed by both males and has decided to fight back!!!
Are rams better in paired groups or hareems?
My pair of bolivians seem to be getting bullied by pair of GBR's although so is the rest of my tank!!
Id read that they are shy fish ......

Well I've been thinking about it and I could probably fit another female in there, bioload isn't going to be a problem because my filtration is really good and if I get a pair then floor space won't be a problem either, if that makes any sense....floor space def. isn't a problem right now seeing as all my bottom dwellers are juvvis apart from one of the male Bolivians. I guess I need to try and rustle together the components for a time out tank :/ Good thing payday is Friday!

Its nice to have a small backup tank anyway. I keep mine in the closet till I need it.

You're hilarious minnnt, you should hit the road with that act....

hehe.gif

It wouldn't work without you. :D

Seriously, just a small plastic storage bow will be fine. Don't worry about planting it up and scaping it though. :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back