Probably The Weirdest Question Ever

Rediahs

Fish Addict
Joined
Feb 26, 2006
Messages
727
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Canada
I figure you guys might be able to answer this...

How much would a 30 gallon tank, EMPTY, weigh? (with lid) Also what are some typical dimensions of a 30-or-so gallon tank?

I ask because, I'd have to carry it from the LFS, to the bus stop (a couple minutes walk) and then from bus stop to my home (a minute's walk).

Is it too big? Do I have to settle for something smaller? I'm a fairly robust girl, just think of me as an average 20-year old male or something when determining whether I can carry it for a few minutes.
 
30 Gallon 36 1/4 x12 5/8 x16 3/4 43 pounds without water 343 pounds with water
30 Breeder 36 3/16 x18 1/4 x12 15/16 48 pounds without water 348 pounds with water
30 X-High 24 1/4 x12 1/2 x24 3/4 41 pounds without water 340 with water

Here are three kinds of 30 gallons.

You should be able to carry it; maybe have to set it down every now and than.\

It is definitely doable.

-FHM
 
That's awesome, thanks. :good:

Are there common tanks that are 30 gallons or so that are about 30 inches or less long?

Cause that's how long my table is, it's 30 inches. And I heard it's not good for it to hang off the sides?
 
That's awesome, thanks. :good:

Are there common tanks that are 30 gallons or so that are about 30 inches or less long?

Cause that's how long my table is, it's 30 inches. And I heard it's not good for it to hang off the sides?


The 30 high is 24 1/2 inches long.
 
A standard 29 gallon is 30" long. Being a more common tank it will be considerably cheaper.
 
I figure you guys might be able to answer this...

How much would a 30 gallon tank, EMPTY, weigh? (with lid) Also what are some typical dimensions of a 30-or-so gallon tank?

I ask because, I'd have to carry it from the LFS, to the bus stop (a couple minutes walk) and then from bus stop to my home (a minute's walk).

Is it too big? Do I have to settle for something smaller? I'm a fairly robust girl, just think of me as an average 20-year old male or something when determining whether I can carry it for a few minutes.

if it a 24 1/4" L x 12 1/2" W x 24 3/4" H 30 gallon high empty then it about 41 lbs.
if it a 36 1/4" L x 12 5/8" W x 16 3/4" H 30 gallon long empty then it about 43 lbs.
if it a 36 3/16" L x 18 1/4" W x 12 15/16" H 30 gallon breeder empty then it about 48 lbs.

to what i think only it might be a little big to carry. but i not sure about the minutes from the store to the bus stop. but it totally up to you. a 30 gallon will be a great tank to start with. but 10 gallon will be very limited on what you decide to put in.
 
A standard 29 gallon is 30" long. Being a more common tank it will be considerably cheaper.

Wow, that's perfect! :D I should get my hands on a 29 then.


if it a 24 1/4" L x 12 1/2" W x 24 3/4" H 30 gallon high empty then it about 41 lbs.
if it a 36 1/4" L x 12 5/8" W x 16 3/4" H 30 gallon long empty then it about 43 lbs.
if it a 36 3/16" L x 18 1/4" W x 12 15/16" H 30 gallon breeder empty then it about 48 lbs.

to what i think only it might be a little big to carry. but i not sure about the minutes from the store to the bus stop. but it totally up to you. a 30 gallon will be a great tank to start with. but 10 gallon will be very limited on what you decide to put in.

Yeah... that was my thinking... I really want tetras. Cardinals and neons.... and some plecos or cories. I don't feel a 10 gallon could have a proper shoal... so 30 gallons seems about right from what I've been reading.

I still have more research to do but I have time, it'll take several months, cycling the tank and such... and rofl, after I buy the tank I will probably have to go back to the store another trip for everything to put inside it, the gravel and etc....

Yeah, 30 gallons (or 29) really seems like a better idea to me and I'm glad someone else is confirming this.
 
Hi Chrissi :)

I ride the busses and have carried tanks on them, but the largest one I ever figured I could manage is a 20 gallon. Of course, I'm a few years older than you are. ;)

It's not the weight that's the problem; it's the dimensions. Tanks are awkward to carry around, and they chip easily. The first problem will be getting it up the steps of the bus. Then, you will probably have to make a sharp left turn and hope you will find someplace to sit with it that doesn't block the aisle. Getting it off the bus will be another problem. If you are lucky, there will be a gentleman on board who will give you a hand, but you can't count on it. Don't even try to carry anything else at the same time.

If you are like I am, you probably have a few friends who have cars. Even if you don't usually ask them for rides, this is one time you should make an exception.

Another possibility you can consider is having it delivered. I've had two 55 gallon tanks and stands delivered for $25 US. It was well worth what I paid. :D
 
Hi Chrissi :)

I ride the busses and have carried tanks on them, but the largest one I ever figured I could manage is a 20 gallon. Of course, I'm a few years older than you are. ;)

It's not the weight that's the problem; it's the size. Tanks are awkward to carry around, and they chip easily. The first problem will be getting it up the steps of the bus. Then, you will probably have to make a sharp left turn and hope you will find someplace to sit with it that doesn't block the aisle. Getting it off the bus will be another problem. If you are lucky, there will be a gentleman on board who will give you a hand. Don't even try to carry anything else at the same time.

If you are like I am, you probably have a few friends who have cars. Even if you don't usually ask them for rides, this is one time you should make an exception.

Another possibility you can consider is having it delivered. I've had two 55 gallon tanks and stands delivered for $25 US. It was well worth what I paid. :D

Well, I've carried large loads on the bus and I don't actually think the size will be the problem, also they are pretty much empty this time of year where I live so I will probably have the seats at the front with space for handicapped people all to myself. The bus drivers are patient too. I'm not concerned about that, just that it will be too heavy and I'll give up halfway to the bus stop... lol....

I could possibly find someone with a car... but it would be a hassle and I don't like inconveniencing people.

Edit: I just determined that a 40 lb is slightly heavier than a flat of Arizona iced tea, which I have carried to the bus stop from the bulk grocery store several times (with a bit of a struggle, but I did it!) I will probably be able to do it... with a few breaks.

I think this will be my mission next weekend :D I'd go tomorrow but I'm working that day.
 
Hi Chrissi :)

I was thinking of you today while I was on the bus, bringing home a 50 lb. bag of play sand. Thank goodness I have one of those shopping carts!

Did you get your tank home successfully? :unsure:
 
Yes I did :) My boyfriend helped me carry it to and from the bus stop. It is happily fishless cycling away, 21 days so far.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top