Probably A Million Topics Like This But Fish Help Please?

debz

New Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have a 200l tank, and currently have 4 swordtails, 5 pentazona barbs, 2 boesmani rainbows and a sucking loach. I also had three dwarf gourami but they sadly got sick and died :sad:
I am now ready to try a different breed of fish in with the others and was looking for some advice as to what would work well with the fish I already have. I asked the guy in the local fish store and he said 'anything down that row will be fine'. That row included oscars, tiger barbs and a few others I know wouldn't be fine!

I'm looking for something not too large, or too small, and definitely nothing orange! I know I don't want any tetras, mollies, platys or guppies so is there anything else that would work well?
Thanks in advance.
 
Wow thanks drobbyb, I didn't realise there were so many types of rainbow fish! I've only seen the boesemani, red and dwarf neon blue but the turquoise in your signature are beautiful.
 
Def. more rainbows, then what about some of the hardier Gourami? Thick Lipped have always been a favourite of mine - about the size of dwarf gourami but much tougher. Or depending on your water Rams?
 
Wow thanks drobbyb, I didn't realise there were so many types of rainbow fish! I've only seen the boesemani, red and dwarf neon blue but the turquoise in your signature are beautiful.


Thank you! Those pics are a few months old but it's been hard trying to find time to take more.
 
I just looked at the Rams, and really liked them, but I think my water here is too hard for them. Is it just the dwarf gourami that are prone to disease then? I didn't want to try another one just in case as it's heartbreaking when they get ill and you can't make them better.
I'm off out later to hunt down some more rainbow fish. I'll let you know how I get on!
 
Have you thought about Honey Gourami, debz?. They don't get too large, so you could have four or five of those. Like a lot of fish in shop tanks, they don't look too impressive, but - like Dwarf Neon Rainbows - give them an hour or two in a decent planted tank and they'll start to show their colourful side.
 
Well I had to go a little further afield than usual, but after trying 5 differentv shops I had some luck in the 6th! I am now the proud owner of 2 Parkinsons rainbow fish, and 2 'blue' rainbow fish. Thats all they were labelled as in the store so not entirely sure what they are, and the two I have are very different shades of blue but they are stunning so I am happy.
It was amazing to see the reaction of mu boesemani when I put them in as well. The 6 of them have been chasing each other all round the tank (in a good way) and are really really happy. So am I!
So I am not going to get anything else now for a couple of months but will keep in mind your gourami suggestions.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top