Prevent Whale Shark Being In Captivity!

Sammy in dubai is kept purely for a profitable attraction. These whales in sentosa would be for research as well as being an attraction for the aquarium which will undoubtedly pay for further research into other species as well as whale sharks.

I will not sign it and I agree with Ficious. I doubt it will stop them to remove whale sharks from the wild and put them in aquariums. What's next? Prevent tunas from become human food? Or prevent panda bears in the public zoo?

I feel that this is kinda pointless and wasted our time to sign to prevent these whale sharks in the aquariums which its not our power or rights.

What's next? Prevent tunas from become human food? Or prevent panda bears in the public zoo?

now that sounds like a plan! nowhere is tuna a, staple. nobody would starve,(fishermen will find other jobs) if it were banned as a human food. the only people who really profit from the trade are the US based multi national food company's. will it happen? don't hold your breath. these company's kill may hundreds of dolphins per year, through tuna fishing, yet refuse to use methods that would reduce the number considerably. after all the Share Holders are the most important people, aren't they? if you feel Tuna eating is your right, "go catch one yourself"! would be my view.
lol, I'd also be up for Pandas being kept in none public, reserves (where they are in captivity) too. removing the necessity for public viewing, would reduce the cost of looking after them, considerably.
sounds like you picked two runners there Butch.

Sorry to burst you but im not support this idea and two ideas I mentioned because it will lead to endless debate and its usually resulted into no win-win.

VISIT [URL="http://www.whalesharkpetition.com/"]http://www.whalesharkpetition.com/[/URL] TO SIGN!!!

Resorts World at Sentosa wants to import whale sharks for the attraction and entertainment of visitors. Whale sharks are vulnerable to extinction and have never done well in captivity. They can grow as large as two city buses, migrate thousands of kilometers in the wild, and live up to a hundred years. It is just plain cruel to keep them in glass cages.

Whale sharks have never fared well in captivity. Two whale sharks died within five months of each other at the Georgia Aquarium.

Write to the Minister of National Development, the Singapore Tourism Board and
Resorts World at Sentosa before this tragedy happens on our shores

Thanks for your help...
Meg :)
Signed! :)

Sorry to burst you but im not support this idea and two ideas I mentioned because it will lead to endless debate and its usually resulted into no win-win.

so you don't do irony then? i knew. its just these ideas are, more likely and more practical, for conservation. the only reason they wont be introduced, is greed. Human greed!

What's next? Prevent tunas from become human food? Or prevent panda bears in the public zoo?

now that sounds like a plan! nowhere is tuna a, staple. nobody would starve,(fishermen will find other jobs) if it were banned as a human food. the only people who really profit from the trade are the US based multi national food company's. will it happen? don't hold your breath. these company's kill may hundreds of dolphins per year, through tuna fishing, yet refuse to use methods that would reduce the number considerably. after all the Share Holders are the most important people, aren't they? if you feel Tuna eating is your right, "go catch one yourself"! would be my view.
lol, I'd also be up for Pandas being kept in none public, reserves (where they are in captivity) too. removing the necessity for public viewing, would reduce the cost of looking after them, considerably.

Your bubble needs to be burst people will die without the tuna industry!!!! Obviously you have never travelled to Indonesia or Malaysia where the cheaper tin tuna generally comes from. You would be ending the jobs for millions of people around the world not just a couple of thousand. I have family who are vietnamese and have stayed on their farm a few times. They are the richest family in the village possibly the region they are the landlords for much of the land which other people work on and yet they cannot afford to keep a freezer running year round. They live in an old french stately home from the colonial days which is beautiful but very run down and bits are missing like general furniture, no tv, hardly any electrical appliances but In the direct family are 12 kids. 4 of them have moved to indonesia for the tuna industry they give 60% of their wages to their parents to provide for their younger siblings. 2 of them have moved away to university one of them my dads fiance and the rest work the farm. My dad purchased a street side plot of land and gave it to the 2 oldest brothers to manage, he said that within the week they had hired a mixer and bought the services of a local kilm, dug a pit and were making their own bricks to build a garage which they would then house a truck in which for the locals would mean they had made big money. So far my dad as spent £34,000 funding them which is a relatively small investment for 100% share of a new business.

This family depends on foreign investment and although you can look at the bigger picture which the green party may preach of the massive reduction tuna stocks and huge profit margins in the industry. People rely on the small wage packets they are given to not thrive but survive in the hope of owning with serious saving items which many of us take for granted. I am travelling out to my vietnames family in august to help them setup a shrimp farm as it is a cash crop provided they can harvest large quantities and get the truck to drive to the nearest factory town 4 hours away.

I am a singaporean resident so I might be able to get in contact with my local mp although as a resident and not a citizen I don't have much of a vote, not to mention singaporean parliament is quite corrupt.

Your bubble needs to be burst people will die without the tuna industry!!!! Obviously you have never travelled to Indonesia or Malaysia where the cheaper tin tuna generally comes from. You would be ending the jobs for millions of people around the world not just a couple of thousand. I have family who are vietnamese and have stayed on their farm a few times. They are the richest family in the village possibly the region they are the landlords for much of the land which other people work on and yet they cannot afford to keep a freezer running year round. They live in an old french stately home from the colonial days which is beautiful but very run down and bits are missing like general furniture, no tv, hardly any electrical appliances but In the direct family are 12 kids. 4 of them have moved to indonesia for the tuna industry they give 60% of their wages to their parents to provide for their younger siblings. 2 of them have moved away to university one of them my dads fiance and the rest work the farm. My dad purchased a street side plot of land and gave it to the 2 oldest brothers to manage, he said that within the week they had hired a mixer and bought the services of a local kilm, dug a pit and were making their own bricks to build a garage which they would then house a truck in which for the locals would mean they had made big money. So far my dad as spent £34,000 funding them which is a relatively small investment for 100% share of a new business.

This family depends on foreign investment and although you can look at the bigger picture which the green party may preach of the massive reduction tuna stocks and huge profit margins in the industry. People rely on the small wage packets they are given to not thrive but survive in the hope of owning with serious saving items which many of us take for granted. I am travelling out to my vietnames family in august to help them setup a shrimp farm as it is a cash crop provided they can harvest large quantities and get the truck to drive to the nearest factory town 4 hours away.

I am a singaporean resident so I might be able to get in contact with my local mp although as a resident and not a citizen I don't have much of a vote, not to mention singaporean parliament is quite corrupt.

you make a fair point. but if fishing were reduced, though it would need to be properly monitored, the price per Kilo would go up. currently the industry, in the area only receives, £280,000,000 per annum for the fish they catch and processes. it does not take much working out, to see who is actually making the money. and it aint the Indonesians. Tuna stocks are falling, so soon enough there will be littler industry left. would it not be better to deal with the problem now, in the hope there will be some form of Tuna industry, to arise from the ashes? perhaps a fair price for the fish these people catch and process might be a good start. it might also encourage the use of "safer" fishing methods. hopefully helping the dolphins too.

if you review the tuna industry during the current recession, sales have dropped of a cliff, it would appear that Indonesia is one of the few that are running, close to full capacity. yet they are also suffering the downturn. as i stated Tuna in not a staple anywhere, as a result it can not be considered a "sustainable" industry (its how much money you have that dictates if you buy Tuna, not starving if you don't). the fact an "unsustainable" (long term) industry has grown up around Tuna, does not mean it should be saved at any cost. though i agree, if i were Indonesian, i would have a different view.

I believe in fair trade and sustainable usage of goods. But face the fact that humans are heading towards mass deaths soon therefore as long as we don't cause tuna to become extinct they will flourish again. Also who are you to dictate when a species should end? Perhaps it is time for tuna to die and allow a new animal to evolve to take its place in the big scheme of things extinction is a minor issue.

Most reactions

Back