pretty expensive newer South American tetra

Hey Gary , what is different about the tetra breeding area of your fishroom ?
That it exists.... I always perched tanks here and there to breed tetras, but now I have a rack area that is in a corner, shaded, and easy to keep warm with minimal use of standard aquarium heaters. I don't try to breed tetras in nice weather as I open the fishroom windows in June and close them as late as I can in September. The temperatures do move around. Once the windows are shut, temps stabilize and off we go. That also corresponds to a point with rainy season in the Amazon, so the fish are in a breeding cycle and happy to be fooled into thinking it's flood time.

I'll have space for 2 10 gallon or 5 gallon tanks in there. I have a rack of regular 10 gallons I use end out for killies, and hope to get some corys breeding in as well.

Today, the fishroom work is moving along. I'm sweeping and vacuuming construction debris and sawdust, after I just finished disassembling all the major racks I eliminated. I keep spilling water and having to dry the cement floor before I can finish. The rack pieces are neatly stacked to show up in future projects. It's starting to look like a good place to spend time again.

The glass comes next, and regular water changes for the fish I didn't move. I'm going to try H. melanostichos, H citrus, H metae and good old cardinals again this December. One of my little oak trees I planted a couple of years ago is growing fast, and will give me a huge harvest of leaves as botanicals. The other had its protective fence blown over in a storm, and the deer got it. It's back to 3 feet high now, so it'll have some catch up to do.

I always find it fun to be working on breeding a not well documented Amazon tetra while on the other side of 2 panes of glass, a snowstorm is raging. I haven't had great success this year, but think I have it figured out. Only one way to find out.
 
That it exists.... I always perched tanks here and there to breed tetras, but now I have a rack area that is in a corner, shaded, and easy to keep warm with minimal use of standard aquarium heaters. I don't try to breed tetras in nice weather as I open the fishroom windows in June and close them as late as I can in September. The temperatures do move around. Once the windows are shut, temps stabilize and off we go. That also corresponds to a point with rainy season in the Amazon, so the fish are in a breeding cycle and happy to be fooled into thinking it's flood time.

I'll have space for 2 10 gallon or 5 gallon tanks in there. I have a rack of regular 10 gallons I use end out for killies, and hope to get some corys breeding in as well.

Today, the fishroom work is moving along. I'm sweeping and vacuuming construction debris and sawdust, after I just finished disassembling all the major racks I eliminated. I keep spilling water and having to dry the cement floor before I can finish. The rack pieces are neatly stacked to show up in future projects. It's starting to look like a good place to spend time again.

The glass comes next, and regular water changes for the fish I didn't move. I'm going to try H. melanostichos, H citrus, H metae and good old cardinals again this December. One of my little oak trees I planted a couple of years ago is growing fast, and will give me a huge harvest of leaves as botanicals. The other had its protective fence blown over in a storm, and the deer got it. It's back to 3 feet high now, so it'll have some catch up to do.

I always find it fun to be working on breeding a not well documented Amazon tetra while on the other side of 2 panes of glass, a snowstorm is raging. I haven't had great success this year, but think I have it figured out. Only one way to find out.
Excellent !
 
@TwoTankAmin - that's an excellent resource. Thank you.

That's H nigricinctus, the imperial tetra. I have H melanostichos, the imperial lapis tetra, a stupid trade name in my view. I'm guessing they're close enough for me to try them that way - I have such water from the tap.
In my world, empires are the bad guys and I'd never name an innocent, lovely tetra for one of them.
I also have H citrus, a predictably yellow form of the fish that is apparently a close but no cigar relative.

They are tough fish to identify. I sent photos to someone who knows them to confirm what I had here.

I have a couple of trips coming up, but when I get back and am here for a while, I'm trying for them.

They do illustrate two things.

One is that if the farms get hold of them, the price on 'new' (to us) tetras can drop fast. But the flip side is if the farms don't breed them, because the high prices slow sales, we may never see them again.
 
Maybe you can do these instead at only $7.99 each: Imperial Lapis Tetra - Hyphessobrycon sp. lapis

https://www.whitlynaquatics.com/pro...KWGvu94ZidLR7b-w3h7ADBAiSjVZ6aZck4GOf4-ffsZzF
As noted higher up in the thread, most Imperial Lapis tetras are Hyphessobrycon melanostichos. Not all, because based on photos from online sellers, a couple of similar related species are sold under the same trade name. English names, even translated from Mandarin, don't always help in identifications.

I paid $8 CAD for mine, which at today's exchange rate is $5.81 in USD, or 4.26 in pounds sterling. They were as expensive as the ones in the OPs thread starting post when they first arrived.
 
Some of the new finds are being bred in captivity. Last year, I found a nice group of Hyphessobrycon melanostichos in a local store for $8 each. A few years ago they were closer to $45 each, the first introduction phase of their aquarium time when only wilds arrived.

These are different fish from the photo, but close enough - I found Hyphessobrycon margitae last year as well, wild caught at 6 for $70, and H. metae at $3 each. You can find curious tetras without the crazy prices (bear in mind that as a resource exporting country, Canada has a lower dollar than the US) if you are prepared to move fast to learn what they are. A lot of the expensive new fish are similar to the mid range "old" fish.

I've made a section of the fishroom expressly for trying to breed tetras and corys this winter, and hope to breed some fish like this I've picked up. That can balance costs a bit.
i'll be interested in your experience breeding tetras. my dream is to breed Aphyocharax rathbuni. I've tried a couple of times, but I am not an experienced breeder and I don't think those are all that easy (although I found a site saying they are).

I want to raise a bunch of those to full color and then auction them at the club. Won't make money, but I'd love to see more people get an idea of how beautiful they can be. They look so plain in the stores and then at home for a long time while they color up. Once they do, though- you won't be doing anything beyond staring at your tank.

This is one I had before:
greenfire_05.webp
 
My experience with breeding fish, which has been somewhat limited in terms of species, is that there are two major factors involved. The first is water parameters. These often need to be in a specific range. The second is diet. How specific these too things must be to succeed vary depending on species.

When I set up my first tank I had made up a list of things I would do or not do. One was that having the fish reproduce was something that was not on the to do list. Also not on the list was doing live plants. What I did think I should do was whatever species of fish I night get I should have both sexes. My first tank was a community.

And suddenly I was getting fry. First from swordtails which was nothing special, but then corys, bristlenose plecos and even rosey barbs began to spawn. When I was being overrun by sword babies I got angels to eat the fry, And then the angels spawned and their first spawn was over 100 eggs.

What really interested me were the B&W Hypancistrus starting with zebras. They were one of my first successes. This taught me that the best way to breed almost any species was in a dedicated species tank.

This is the best I have to offer. It has worked well for me. My biggest surprise was when my redline barbs spawned in the tank where they lived with clown loaches. I had kept this species of barbs for about 15 years when this happened. They were not the same ones the whole time. My current group is my third.

I have come to believe my well water must contain a natural fish aphrodisiac.
 
Aphyocharax rathbuni are one I'd like to do too. For some reason, they aren't common in my local stores.

They take advance prep. Getting young to hatch is one thing. Raising them is another.

Good news number one is that they don't seem to be light sensitive to the degree some other Characins are. So I would start with:

1) 2 aquariums with sponge filters, cycled, of at least 10 gallons each, filled with soft water at around 25c. If one is a 20 gallon, you might be ahead. More on why later...

2) A good supply of live food for adults. Brine shrimp, mosquito larvae, bloodworms, fruit flies, grindal or black worms will do. Frozen will work, but live is better. Prepared foods show their limitations with breeding attempts. They just aren't up to scratch, whatever the brand name or its claims. You can have some success with soldier fly larvae based foods, but generally not as you would with insects themselves.

3) A good supply of infusoria for the young, ready a day or two in advance of hatching. This is where the breakdown strikes for most of us. We prepare fry food too late. Microworms can be stage two, then freshly hatched artemia as they grow. Some powdered foods are okay. I would use hikari's first bites, and krill fines do a good job with other species. I mix them with water in a vial, shake them and dole them out.

4) A good supply of fine leaved plants - hornwort, cabomba maybe guppy grass and java moss. Don't go buy them the week before, because if they don't take and start decaying, you have losses coming. Get them established. A rathbuni eggs are adhesive, and they need plants to stick to. Lots of plants are good, as there should be lots of eggs. But no snails or hydra!

So now you're set up. Split the sexes. Males in the 10, females in the bigger tank where the plants will be. Feed them well for one to two weeks. Next, even if the eggs and fry aren't photophobic as cardinals are, turn off the lights and combine the sexes. They don't need light except to find eggs to eat.

Now I go to Seriously Fish, who say eggs hatch in 2-3 days, and larvae freeswim 4-5 days later. That seems slow to me, but rathbuni are one I haven't tried. I judge the spawning by studying the bellies of the females closely. This is a problem, as unless you see them spawning, it's hard to be sure. Tetras don't always spawn automatically when combined. I've misjudged with some tetras, and either caught the adults too quickly, or left them in so they could eat all the eggs. You have to get the adults out.

Once the tank is sitting quietly, apparently empty, I use an intense led light. I have some that you wear on your head, with straps, but a flashlight will do. If you rattle the tank a bit you can see larvae move on the glass before they are freeswimming, and you know you're in business. They are tiny. NO bright overhead tank lights yet, just in case.

Now, why a 15 or 20 gallon? It's an ideal world option, because several hundred fry can appear. It does mean if you get 500, you raise 500. You will probably lose a lot, so starting with good numbers helps as you learn. You can start that tank shallow so they can get to food, but as the group grows, you need clean water. Lots of water changes are needed. If I can, I do small daily ones, but as they grow, I raise the water level. My last tetra success was the fairly easy black neon, and I raised around 50 starting in a 5 gallon. That was sufficient for me and for my club, as well as for a local store to take 20. If I had used a larger tank, I'll wager I could have doubled that. I lost a few when I had to transfer the gaggle to a larger tank to grow healthy specimens. I wish I'd started bigger.

I have decided to retire 5s for tetras. Too much work. I'll now start with 10s.

And there is a recipe.
 
This is the best I have to offer. It has worked well for me. My biggest surprise was when my redline barbs spawned in the tank where they lived with clown loaches. I had kept this species of barbs for about 15 years when this happened. They were not the same ones the whole time. My current group is my third.

I have come to believe my well water must contain a natural fish aphrodisiac.
Redline = Denison Barbs?
My 180g is dedicated to Denison, clown loaches and my super reds with the newest addition being Mascara barbs.
I have had clowns and Dension for well over 10-15 years with my clowns just recently aging out at about 20-25 years with me. I have one original and a new gang to work with now.
The Denison basically live all of 5-6 years and I replace them when they number less than 8.
Any tips on how you managed getting the redlinebarbs to spawn? They are known to be basically impossible to breed without hormones in captivity.
Sorry for the hijack but enquiring minds want to know.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top