pretty expensive newer South American tetra

Magnum Man37 152

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
7,658
Reaction score
6,918
Points
113
Location
Southern MN
That is high for sure.
Yes…..I went for a group of Red Cherry Tetras (Hyphessobryco sp. (muzel) and paid $20+ each. Love ‘em though. Also, my Gold Blue Eyed Congo Tetras (Phenacogrammus aurantiaca) cost me a bundle. But all these are far less than the cost of quality discus. :nod: To me, getting that special unique gorgeous fish is worth it. I’m not one to wait for the price to come down. :cool:
 
Any schooling fish over about $7 is out of my league. It is a pretty one, though, and I bet they'll find somebody who will pay that much.
My budget is strictly $5 bucks a pop . If I go over that I better get enough fry that they average out to five bucks each . I’ve got nobody to answer to now but myself but $5 bucks is $5 bucks .
 
That is high for sure.
Yes…..I went for a group of Red Cherry Tetras (Hyphessobryco sp. (muzel) and paid $20+ each. Love ‘em though. Also, my Gold Blue Eyed Congo Tetras (Phenacogrammus aurantiaca) cost me a bundle. But all these are far less than the cost of quality discus. :nod: To me, getting that special unique gorgeous fish is worth it. I’m not one to wait for the price to come down. :cool:
Do you know if the Cherrys were wild caught? I paid less than half that :blink: Perhaps I have some lemon tetras who turned orange.. Maybe they were fed carrots??
 
Not sure atm. Will have to check. My gut tells me they were tank raised

Just checked. They were tank raised for $19.99 each plus SH.
 
Last edited:
in the link they say, ( at least what they were told ) where they came from..
 
There is a flood of new tetra species available. As environmental destruction proceeds so quickly, it's opening access to what were inaccessible forest habitats, and species are being harvested from possibly doomed rivers. The road to these fish is created by the logging and mineral companies that destroy them. They still cost a lot because of transportation to the exporters. Most have to be flown by small plane within the country to the centres with airports, and that costs.

You see from the trade names how important the Chinese market is becoming. I hope this doesn't become what happened in the 90s and 2000s, when new species bypassed the US and Canadian markets and only went to Asia and Europe because culturally, we don't take our hobbies seriously enough to expand them beyond the basic.

These are breeder's fish. I'm always reminded of a story told to me by a 90year old aquarist many years ago about the importation of the first neon tetras to Montreal in the 1930s, during the Great Depression. They cost $5 each when my grandparents' flat cost $2 a month.

For fun, you should look up Oliver Lucanus's below water new tetra video series on youtube. He shows some very cool fish.
 
Last edited:
Some of the new finds are being bred in captivity. Last year, I found a nice group of Hyphessobrycon melanostichos in a local store for $8 each. A few years ago they were closer to $45 each, the first introduction phase of their aquarium time when only wilds arrived.

These are different fish from the photo, but close enough - I found Hyphessobrycon margitae last year as well, wild caught at 6 for $70, and H. metae at $3 each. You can find curious tetras without the crazy prices (bear in mind that as a resource exporting country, Canada has a lower dollar than the US) if you are prepared to move fast to learn what they are. A lot of the expensive new fish are similar to the mid range "old" fish.

I've made a section of the fishroom expressly for trying to breed tetras and corys this winter, and hope to breed some fish like this I've picked up. That can balance costs a bit.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top