thoughts on Hyphessobrycon pyrrhonotus (Flameback Bleeding Heart Tetra)

Magnum Man30 144

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
7,612
Reaction score
6,865
Points
113
Location
Southern MN
I have not seen these before… anyone else had them???
IMG_9587.webp

specifications…
(Hyphessobrycon pyrrhonotus)

Origin:
Wild Brazil
Locale: Rio Negro outside Santa Isabel
Diet: Omnivore and micropredator, will accept almost all frozen and prepared foods
Adult Size: 2″
Recommended Tank Size: 20 gallons
Compatibility: Peaceful towards most tankmates, should be kept with similarly-sized, peaceful fish. May bully smaller tetras if not kept in a large enough group.

Preferred Water Parameters
pH: 6.2 – 7.2
Temp: 76-82F
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: <30ppm
 
Last edited:
I've admired them, but have never kept any of the bleeding heart group. One of my friends had a lot of four foot showtanks with various species from the group in them - they were his favourite tetras. They were lively to watch, but for random reasons, I've never sought them out. If you get some, your impressions would be interesting to me, and hopefully to others.
 
I’m still wrangling my retirement budget, I’d suspect these will sell out before I do another fish order, likely in a few weeks
 
I hear you. I have an order coming tomorrow, but of nothing exotic. Just stuff I kept in the past and really liked. I think it's a version of 'nesting' with fish species - I have some old favourites I don't feel like I'm done with (with one species I've never kept added in for good measure). I now wait until a dealer has 2 or 3 species I want before I order to save on shipping. MY LFS situation features the nicest store owner out there, with the most predictable species possible, no variety and no real competition.
 
I love Bleeding Heart Tetras ! I had some many moons ago when I was a kid and was the first fish I ever had whose colors impressed me . I like that body shape and the jaunty dorsal fin of theirs too . Why don’t you get a bunch , breed them and send me some ?
 
They've been around for a while and have been generally available. They are members of the "Rosy Tetra Clade" which comprises many aquarium favorites--the Rosy, Ornate, the Bleeding Hearts, the various Phantoms, Serpae and several others. Nearly all are flushed pink and have the uniquely marked and elongated 'jaunty dorsal,' as @Back in the fold aptly put it. I like all of them. As is the case for all rhomboid shaped tetras, males can be territorial. Serpae gets a bad rap in this regard but if given enough room, they are a delight, this species especially. BTW, the fairly recent revision of Hyphessobrycon now puts the entire Rosy Tetra Clade in Megalamphodus so the Flameback Bleeding Heart is now M. pyrrhonotus.

​

 
Last edited:
When "pyrr" is in a Latin name, the fish are often wonderful.

I can't say why I lack experience with that large group. I've just not kept them. Future project...
 
When "pyrr" is in a Latin name, the fish are often wonderful.

I can't say why I lack experience with that large group. I've just not kept them. Future project...
I think you'd enjoy them. They really 'fill the eye.' I've kept most of them at one time or another over the years. But this lovely thing has been elusive... M epicharis.

M. epicharis.webp
 
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back
Top