Pregnant Swordtail?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cori

Reaction score
Hi there!

I have two Red Swordtails (one male and one female) and I added three Green Swordtails (two male, one female) about a week ago. Everything was going fine at first, but the last couple of days, I've noticed the Green female is constantly chasing off both of the Red Swordtails, and sometimes even the smaller of the Green males. However, the larger Green male is usually right by her side and sometimes helps chase the others off. Is this a sign that she is pregnant? Her stomach doesn't look big, but I've read they become aggressive when they're pregnant. I have plenty of plants / decor for them to hide in, but it sometimes seems like she is purposely tracking them down to chase.

Could it be something else?
Right now my 55g tank is stocked with:
- 2 Red Swordtail
- 3 Green Swordtail
- 1 Blue Gourami
- 6 Zebra Danio
- 1 Rubber Lip Pleco

Thanks!

She's probably trying to defend herself from the males. I'm afraid male livebearers are sex mad, and you should always have at least two females, but preferably three, to every male.

You can assume that all female livebearers are pregnant all the time; on the plus side you don't need to do anything, apart from add plenty of live plants to the tank, if you want some fry to survive.

If I added more female, do you think my tank would be overcrowded?

No, you should be fine
smile.png

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back