Pregnant platy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Natabettas

Reaction score
I have 2 pregnant platys right now and I thought they may have been showing signs of being ready soon. I want to save all the fry so I moved them to a clear bin it’s about 4-5 gallons. I put them both in breeding boxes in the bin incase they had them overnight. Filled the bin with their tanks water since their tank is cycled plus I figured it may stress them out less. Tossed in an air stone and a heater and some live plants. How do I know when they will have their babies. This is my first time with platys having babies. I have experience with guppies but this is new to me lol. TIA (first three photos are female number 1 and the other 3 are female number 2)

Attachments

• B27DABF3-76F8-4D14-89A2-8FA2D8D13F78.jpeg
    B27DABF3-76F8-4D14-89A2-8FA2D8D13F78.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 64
  • AD35177B-6364-4013-8343-80A916A6494E.jpeg
    AD35177B-6364-4013-8343-80A916A6494E.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 02EFDE80-823B-4BD6-B03A-277CFF9C509C.jpeg
    02EFDE80-823B-4BD6-B03A-277CFF9C509C.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 98817C30-18AA-47DB-8157-C7635CB079D5.jpeg
    98817C30-18AA-47DB-8157-C7635CB079D5.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 0B887567-0CAF-4170-8C19-D3BA6CBC01C4.jpeg
    0B887567-0CAF-4170-8C19-D3BA6CBC01C4.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 64
  • B499A55C-3DD3-4B29-99B6-0260B575D430.jpeg
    B499A55C-3DD3-4B29-99B6-0260B575D430.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 64
Hard to tell exactly when they're due. Both look fat but that doesn't give a good reference when they're due. They can even become bigger than this. So, it could be soon but it can also take some time.

LOL, just messing with you...I say let them be and wait, doubt it will be long now...

I have 2 pregnant platys right now and I thought they may have been showing signs of being ready soon. I want to save all the fry so I moved them to a clear bin it’s about 4-5 gallons. I put them both in breeding boxes in the bin incase they had them overnight. Filled the bin with their tanks water since their tank is cycled plus I figured it may stress them out less. Tossed in an air stone and a heater and some live plants. How do I know when they will have their babies. This is my first time with platys having babies. I have experience with guppies but this is new to me lol. TIA (first three photos are female number 1 and the other 3 are female number 2)
If you start seeing a white or black dot on their butt (cloaca), then that is a perfect sign that they are going to have the babies within the next 24-48 hours, maybe even less (mine was within 12 hours). I left my platy in her tank and when I woke up, immediately removed the adults and started collecting the fry.

If you start seeing a white or black dot on their butt (cloaca), then that is a perfect sign that they are going to have the babies within the next 24-48 hours, maybe even less (mine was within 12 hours). I left my platy in her tank and when I woke up, immediately removed the adults and started collecting the fry.
Update on her. I have been watching closely and i read online to look for when the bottom fin goes from on an angle to lined up with her and I heard that that is a sign that the babies are moving and getting ready. So I looked and her fin is defiantly straight across now and her vent is very very noticeable. She has also been hiding in the plants and just. Hovering around bein lazy lol. Do you think that means she should have them soon?

Update on her. I have been watching closely and i read online to look for when the bottom fin goes from on an angle to lined up with her and I heard that that is a sign that the babies are moving and getting ready. So I looked and her fin is defiantly straight across now and her vent is very very noticeable. She has also been hiding in the plants and just. Hovering around bein lazy lol. Do you think that means she should have them soon?
Yes I do! Be ready to scoop your adults out and hunt for the babies. If you wish to not keep them, just leaving them in will be okay but some might still survive. It is unlikely though. I put mine in a large traveling container with gravel substrate and a plant (I have 11 of them).

Once you see the white or black dot on her butt and a dark spot hovering on the lower end of her stomach- that is a sign that the babies have made their way down and it will be VERY soon. I would guess maybe a couple hours, 12 at most.

Yes I do! Be ready to scoop your adults out and hunt for the babies. If you wish to not keep them, just leaving them in will be okay but some might still survive. It is unlikely though. I put mine in a large traveling container with gravel substrate and a plant (I have 11 of them).

Once you see the white or black dot on her butt and a dark spot hovering on the lower end of her stomach- that is a sign that the babies have made their way down and it will be VERY soon. I would guess maybe a couple hours, 12 at most.
Lovely! I actually moved her and another pregnant female to a 5 gallon bin once I knew they were pregnant and there’s breeding boxes in there with them so I was letting them swim in the bin with the plants until I thought they were ready then I was gonna scoop em into the breeding boxes. Trying to save as many babies as possible. Can I do anything more to keep her cozy? I’ve got a heater and an air stone running and I’ve got a turkey baster I use to suck up poops once a day to keep the tank clean since there’s no filter

Lovely! I actually moved her and another pregnant female to a 5 gallon bin once I knew they were pregnant and there’s breeding boxes in there with them so I was letting them swim in the bin with the plants until I thought they were ready then I was gonna scoop em into the breeding boxes. Trying to save as many babies as possible. Can I do anything more to keep her cozy? I’ve got a heater and an air stone running and I’ve got a turkey baster I use to suck up poops once a day to keep the tank clean since there’s no filter
That sounds so perfect for them- they should be okay. Keep an eye out, if there is no substrate you will see the babies perfectly. Once they both are very active and look skinnier, put them back in the original tank and leave the babies. I don't use a filter for my babies tank, but you can. I am just paranoid of them getting sucked up.

It should be any hour/day now judging by the pics.

That sounds so perfect for them- they should be okay. Keep an eye out, if there is no substrate you will see the babies perfectly. Once they both are very active and look skinnier, put them back in the original tank and leave the babies. I don't use a filter for my babies tank, but you can. I am just paranoid of them getting sucked up.

It should be any hour/day now judging by the pics.
here’s a pic from today. I only use air stones or sponge filters for the first while with my baby guppies then once they’re a month or so old I upgrade them to a tank with a HOB filter(bad past experience with babies and internal filters?) with a sponge over the intake covered in a piece of pantyhose over that. Can never be too careful haha

Attachments

• 1BC0616A-5513-49A5-8CC5-F445A7F44809.jpeg
    1BC0616A-5513-49A5-8CC5-F445A7F44809.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 58
Also. Should I cover the tank? For privacy. I hear they tend to have them at night time. So would covering it help any or would it just stress them out?

Shouldn't really matter, platys aren't fussy about reproducing

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back