Pregnant platy fish - how far in is she?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Liannyka

Reaction score
Hello, my platy fish is pregnant and I'm wondering if anyone can tell how far along she is? I have no experience with this just yet, but I want to be prepared! How much longer? Should I separate her or not?
She doesn't really swim up anymore, stays close to the bottom, even when I feed them.

20220828_184219.jpg
20220828_184209.jpg
20220828_184218.jpg

@emeraldking , have a look

The fish doesn't seem to have the "squared off" look they usually get when pregnant, this could be something else

Assuming she's gravid (pregnant), she is far enough along to want to be left alone in piece and quiet. Do not disturb sign on the door. Leave her alone and let her give birth when she's ready.

Assuming she's gravid (pregnant), she is far enough along to want to be left alone in piece and quiet. Do not disturb sign on the door. Leave her alone and let her give birth when she's ready.
Funny thing is that she still swims towards me the moment she sees me, as she's always done. Just, not up anymore, she mostly stays close to the bottom.

I think she gave birth last night, but I haven't seen any fry. I was hoping to keep some of these first fry, but maybe some will survive. I haven't seen any, but it looks to me like she gave birth. Any inputs? I'm super new to this.

Attachments

• 20220829_091533.jpg
    20220829_091533.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 31
Not all pregnant livebearers (platy in this case) will square off. A female will only square off when she uses the maximum gestation period.

You could have more fry in your tank without seeing them clearly. They're very good hiders. Give it some time and most likely you'll see some swim at some point.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back