Pregnant guppy

andy216

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I have a female guppy who looks like she is ready for her second brood. I know its coming soon but i thought someone might have been able to give me a more accurate timeframe. I tried to get a good pic of her but she wouldn't stop moving around so the image is a big poor (sorry).

Her first brood i only managed to save 3 because she suprised me! This time i want to be more prepared. I unfortunately dont have a seperate tank for the fry so i need to get an idea of when i could put her into a breeding trap, i dont want to do it too early. Also...is it ok to put newborn fry in with 1 month old fry in the breeding trap? I think i am going to run out of room in there anyway!!

Thanks for advice

click here for pics

well im no expert on guppys i would say maybee within the week. as for the post thing its blue to me its prolly red to you because you posted it and i have no idea what the red dot would be the only red dot ive seen is the locked simbol and i havent seen one of those in a while.

edit for those of you who wonder about the guppy
post-22-1055764734.jpg

looks like she will drop any time now i would say. How long ago is it since she had her 1st brood? usually takes 28 days.

I recommend a mesh breeding net for the fry, make sure you put alot of floating plants so that the fry have somewhere to hide when she pops them out.

I usually find that my guppies go abit squarish rather than round when you look at her from the front or behind 24 hours before they drop them. (personal experience) but doesn't always happen, i did a check on my tank a week ago at midnight as i had a late one and to my surprise the 3 mums to be had given birth and the gravel was littered with babies, i then spent an hour rounding them all up!!!! I eventually went to bed at 1.30am!!!

Left 3 in the tank and by morning they died because they got stuck in the gravel and couldnt get out!!! but i managed to save 19 of them and previous 6 that i had a few days earlier, so im crammed with babies all doing really well they are 2 weeks old now.

Ready to be moved into a rearing tank of 15 litres.

Why don't you get a small rearing tank max 20 litres, you pick up quite reasonable and then supplement it with a bio-foam 45 filter costs max of £4 and then a 50 watt heater.

You will have more space to rear them better and then when they develop their tails, you could keep the best and then give the others to friends for their tanks.

So far i have kept all of my guppy babies simply because i don't know anyone local that keeps fish or has an interest in fish.

Goodluck with the future babies.

I predict 12 babies

Thanks Jamnog and Bigfish!

Jamnog, i still dont know about the red dot thing. I was just wondering because noone had replied to my post in a couple of days (which is unusual) and thought that it might have had something to do with it. Anyway doesn't matter now because i got some replies! :D Thanks mate.

Bigfish, Yeah i actually have a second tank set up but it has a couple of rams in it at the moment, i am thinking of putting a net breeder in there because the plastic ones are crap! The only thing is that i dont want the change in tanks and change in water to affect the babies and the mother. The water in both is set up very similar but i thought the slightest change might harm them!?! She had her last drop almost one month away, judging from what you said i think maybe 2 more days.

Thanks for the help guys, ill let you know how the babies go.

Andy

if you put her in the breeding net thingy with some floating plants and wait for her to drop most of the babies then there will be no need for the extra tank for quite a while as you can move here after they have all gone she wont eat them all if she is well fed she would only eat one or two. perhaps modifieing the breeding trap with some fish net on the slits to stop the fry getting out. they are really for egg breeders but the mother eating the fry is normally allmost as big an issue as the other fish eating the fry.

my guppies have been going on strike I think its time I got a hornier male or maybe its the fact that all the females are mom aunts and sisters

Most reactions

Back