Pregnant Crystal Red Shrimps Care

oliviajam

Reaction score
Hi all fish enthusiast!

I have recently joined this forum and am here to enquire about the care for pregnant crystal shrimps in my tank as shown in the picture below. I am currently trying to lower the ph, as it has always been about 8.5 or even 8.9 due to the area I am living in (midlands). Knowing that lowering ph requires the lowering of kh(hardness) too, that I am struggling to keep the ph at 7 because apparently CRS doesn't cope very well in soft water, so I did not try anything to lower the kh at the first place. I have been adding this shrimp mineral power for a while that apparently recreates the condition of natural river as well as incorporate suitable minerals for CRS to grow, which I found it quite good. Now I got 2 pregnant shrimps in the tank, however they haven't hatched baby shrimps after 3-4 weeks, I am worried that the babies might not hatch and even if they do eventually, I cannot keep my ph at 6.5 or 7 to provide the perfect condition for the babies to survive.

I have tried using Cattapa almond leaves to lower the ph, however a shrimp died (not sure if that is the cause of it), but I removed the leave straight away. (tested ammonia, nitrate and nitrite and those were fine) Then another 2 shrimps died at different times on the next day... which I think it might have caused by the accumulation of copper content in the water through time, as there is a 30mg content of Copper Sulfate in the popular Hikari Shrimp Cuisine food pallets... hence I stop feeding them and added carbon in the filter to hopefully adsorbed the harmful copper.

I am hoping to purchase ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia II to stabilise the ph at 7, which will be another layer on top of the current, but the shrimps will first have to be removed from the tank. Perhaps this can be done after the shrimps have hatched.

Seriously in need of advise.
Many Thanks,
Olivia

image-2.jpg

One of my pregnant CRS

image-1.jpg

Bought on ebay with the link as follow:
Mineral Powder link to Ebay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back