What's new
Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Caleb545

Reaction score
I recently purchased a ballon molly “first time owning one” and I know their naturally big but is it possible she’s pregnant ? She seemed distant from my other fish and eats a lot I just want to make sure I’m prepared if so

Attachments

• B8C4D006-97B8-421D-AE8C-28755221A96D.jpeg
    B8C4D006-97B8-421D-AE8C-28755221A96D.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 397
Hey there,
Molly balloon are not naturally designed this way, it is from selection. This deformity is caused by scoliosis, leaving the fish in daily suffering, painful and tiring swimming, and favoring a premature death. Spawning in females can also be fatal.
So I hope sue isn't pregnant.

I would say she isn’t pregnant but it can be very difficult to say as they are naturally very swollen. When I had these they were usually much larger when they were pregnant.

I have attached a picture below of a pregnant molly.

Attachments

• 8D29307C-9BB6-47D6-A0A4-8236322DE394.jpeg
    8D29307C-9BB6-47D6-A0A4-8236322DE394.jpeg
    25.8 KB · Views: 634
Watching again your molly I think it isn't a balloon but a "simple" molly (Poecilia sphenops) that is pregnant.

Watching again your molly I think it isn't a balloon but a "simple" molly (Poecilia sphenops) that is pregnant.
No, she's definitely a balloon molly and not a Poecilia sphenops. Balloon mollies are derived from Poecilia latipinna.
The intestines are so cramped in the body, that they won't reach the max age as a normal build molly would have. These short bodied fish are allowed to be sold at an lfs but not at an vivaristic event in Holland. The regulations at such fairs in Holland exclude fish that are modified in a way that it doesn't help their wellbeing. But also glow fish are excluded from being sold at these fairs.

I disagree. Molly balloon shows a prominent dorsal bump that Caleb545's doesn't show at all.
Look at body differences :

moll.jpg

Last edited:
I disagree. Molly balloon shows a prominent dorsal bump that Caleb545's doesn't show at all.
Look at body differences :

View attachment 138778
Also from the angle this photo has been taken, youy clearly see the bodyshape that belongs to a balloon molly. It doesn't show a regular bodyshape. She does show the hump on the back. Not all balloon mollies wil develop an exceptional high back. But this one does show a hump, to repeat myself. It's clearly to be seen in this photo. And it's really short bodied. I know my way out with mollies. Take a good look at the photo again...

Also from the angle this photo has been taken, youy clearly see the bodyshape that belongs to a balloon molly. It doesn't show a regular bodyshape. She does show the hump on the back. Not all balloon mollies wil develop an exceptional high back. But this one does show a hump, to repeat myself. It's clearly to be seen in this photo. And it's really short bodied. I know my way out with mollies. Take a good look at the photo again...
I would have to agree and say this is definitely a Balloon Molly she has all the classic signs. :whistle:

I would say she could be pregnant anyway you never know sometimes until you see some the little babies swimming round :fish:Good Luck either way :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back