Pragnant guppy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

smyth19

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have this pregnant female guppy that i obtained at a lfs about a week ago. it was already pregnant when i obtained it, and its belly was completly totally black and now its been jet black the past few days. The thing is it isnt really fat and when guppys are ready to give birth they become square and its not!!! any ideas

Thanx Alot
Joe!!

I've watched guppies of mine and guppies of friends of mine when they were about to release the fry and I have never seen a square belly on any one of them. I just notice them swimming around the bottom alot, probably looking for a place to have the fry and sometimes they lose their appetites. If you have a breeding tank you should probably put it in there.

smyth19 said:
I have this pregnant female guppy that i obtained at a lfs about a week ago. it was already pregnant when i obtained it, and its belly was completly totally black and now its been jet black the past few days. The thing is it isnt really fat and when guppys are ready to give birth they become square and its not!!! any ideas

Thanx Alot
Joe!!
place your sick fish in a hospital tank. it might be stressed out due to the water conditions or other fish chasing it.

It sound like you are jumping the gun a bit.
I know its exciting to purchase a new fish, which you then find out is pregnant.
As you said, its not square. Not all females go really square, especially if it is their first batch of fry... If shes not fat, then it could be a recent developing pregnancy, which means, a while to wait yet.
Another poss is, by you movin her, it could of stessed her out, and make her abort.
Its not your fault, just a bit annoying sometimes, it happens to all of us.
If i was you, i would introduce her back into the larger tank. Guppys or any fish, dont like to be cramped let alone be cramped when pregnant.
If you find that she suddenly gets bigger square shaped, and darker around her gravid spot, you can remove her then, or wait for her to have them in the community tank an you wait to fish them out into the fry tank....
thats all i can think of now...
ask more questions if you like, hope that has given you a few options. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Thanx alot guy's, im really thankful for your help. It turned out that both of the guppys give birth this morning!!! I've got a load of them and put them in a wee breeding tank and the others are hiding pretty well!!!

Many Thankz
Joe
!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back