Powering A Fish Room

they are bringing in home buyer packs in the UK where you have to include things like an electrical survey, thankfully it's just on big houses 4 bedrooms+ so we shouldn't have to get one.

we can easily get everything certified just saves money on a full electrical survey

we normally use 32 amp breakers on a ring (or old styled boards use a 30 amp rewireable fuse)

but om my 150 w heater its says on the back it uses 2.5 amp and to use a 5 amp fuse

Are you serious? How many "rings" are in a typical house or flat?

in an average house you have 3. one upstairs one downstairs and a seperate kitchen maybe 4 if you have an extention

depends on the house size though!

any reason you asked or just wornderd?

miss wiggle

lights are wired in a ring main :good: only sockets are usauly

chris

Hmm, I neglected to mention lighting circuits, though due to the lower load these can quite often (in older places) be spurs rather than rings.

Are you sure you would need another ring for the attic MW? I seem to recall a ring can have as many sockets as you like provided it is over a floor space of 100 square meters (though I may be well out, been ages since I covered any electrical regs). So long as your uptairs is seperate from your downstairs, it is unlikely that the upstairs will get over 32A (7,360 Watts).

Mind you, newer fuse boxes are always nice. Our one is so old you cannot buy the fuseholders for it any more, it is that obselete...

yep your correct about 100 square meters and have as many outlets as you want

however you now have to certify any work carried out therefore most electricions wont touch other peoples work so they might install there own little board if the owner dont wont a new one for all circuits as if anything was to happen electric wise the last electrician to touch it would get the blame

thats what i understand so far

chris

A couple thoughts come to mind.
A concentration of 27+ tanks in an area the size of an apartment/flat bedroom is going to put a whoping strain on the structure. I would suggest that you check this out before proceeding, that weight load will likely overload anything but a main floor that does not have a basement beneath it.
As far as altering the wiring and based on the assumption that the flat is rented I would suggest that you have not right to be messing with the wiring ie. extending additional circuits, making any modifications to the electrical pannel, etc.
Furthermore, electrical alterations that are not completed under a permit will likely nulify an insurance policy.
in my last post ive said im not doing this anymore if you read it. and if you read my sig it says i have concrete floors also just to clarify i own the place i dont rent it :good:

and as for work done under a permit i beleive that only applies to gas appliances in the UK

your allowed to do your own work in your household but not allowed in other peoples homes unless suitabley quilified and registerd.

My house also had 2x30 Amp rings, one for each fllor, and 2x5 Amp rings for the lighting load, one for each floor. It also had a seperate 30 Amp ring for the kitchen run in 6mm cable. Each ring was wired to a star earth. The distribution was via cartridge fuses. There was no earth leakage breaker.

It was always possible to do all your own domestic wiring, indeed, I often did, but I believe that recent legislation means that an authorised installer must now carry out the elctrical work.

Here in Denmark, the wiring is not based on rings, rather there are a whole herd of 10 Amp fused spurs. The kitchen has it's own supply which is 3 phase . Correspondingly, high current items like the cooker have 3 phase connections. Very little is earthed here, but an earth leakage breaker is compulsory. Due to the huge volumes of stupid rules and regulations that dog everything in life here, nobody would dream of rewiring their own house!

thats mental lol

only factirys and very big house normally have these in the uk

just out of interest whats the voltage?

in england
singles phase is 230v
2 phase is 400v

chris

just out of interest whats the voltage?
A nominal 380V. In England, I always reckoned on 240V and 415V for 3 phase.

Most reactions

Back