Power outage! Then what?

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
"Uh oh, no power!!!"

I learned recently that there's enough BB on the interior of my tank and ornaments to sustain my fish for an extended period, as long as I have constant water movement and surface agitation. I think I've managed to achieve this, for about 35hrs at least. I plan on having a sponge filter and pump powered by a high-performance\high-capacity UPS also, JIC. the longest outage in my area was 4hrs, but we haven't had a serious black-out in years.

Now, I'd like to know what solutions you guys have invested in, if any, to keep your tank running without wall power. I'm looking for other, potentially better solutions.

addendum: Don't feel bad if you haven't gone as fas as I have. I fully realize that we're all very different in many ways and I appreciate that fact.

I have about the same plan for my upcoming improvement. Linear piston air pump with UPS. All tanks will have air to the display, though those with sumps will have to do without actual bioreactoers active for the duration. Although, my MBBR will continue to have air as well, so on that tank there should be no loss of efficiency as soon as the water pump kicks in again.

Reactions: 663
"Uh oh, no power!!!"

I learned recently that there's enough BB on the interior of my tank and ornaments to sustain my fish for an extended period, as long as I have constant water movement and surface agitation. I think I've managed to achieve this, for about 35hrs at least. I plan on having a sponge filter and pump powered by a high-performance\high-capacity UPS also, JIC. the longest outage in my area was 4hrs, but we haven't had a serious black-out in years.

Now, I'd like to know what solutions you guys have invested in, if any, to keep your tank running without wall power. I'm looking for other, potentially better solutions.

addendum: Don't feel bad if you haven't gone as fas as I have. I fully realize that we're all very different in many ways and I appreciate that fact.

We live in the mountains and we have power outages year-round depending on the weather. The most important thing is if it is cold, you have to find a way to keep them warm. It doesn’t take but less than an hour for disease to set in. We have a generator so that’s our easy way to remedy power outages. But I do know that they sell battery powered air pumps heaters and filters. I’ve seen them here and they are on the Internet.

We live in the mountains and we have power outages year-round depending on the weather. The most important thing is if it is cold, you have to find a way to keep them warm. It doesn’t take but less than an hour for disease to set in. We have a generator so that’s our easy way to remedy power outages. But I do know that they sell battery powered air pumps heaters and filters. I’ve seen them here and they are on the Internet.

Geez, I hadn't considered heat. Thanks Ellabee for the info! Question, my fish will grow sick in a cooling tank? I'll look up battery powered heaters.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back