Possible pregnant molly?

Spottedmollymom

Reaction score
I recently got 3 fish at the beginning of March and Iā€™m not sure if my one molly fish is pregnant but I have been reading up and it sounds like she is. Iā€™ve attached two pictures of her and Iā€™d appreciate it if someone could let me know a definite answer and if she is expecting, about how long do you think until she pops. Thank you!

Attachments

• FD040A80-6407-4E8F-A458-AC4A9EEB83BB.jpeg
    FD040A80-6407-4E8F-A458-AC4A9EEB83BB.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 99B366DB-4CB9-411A-AF12-2DF3D16A9D3B.jpeg
    99B366DB-4CB9-411A-AF12-2DF3D16A9D3B.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 64
She looks like a balloon molly, so it might be difficult to tell whether or not she's pregnant, although it does look like it. Has her belly gotten noticeably bigger since you got her? If she's pregnant, she looks ready to pop & should drop fry very soon. You'll just have to wait and see :)

She looks like a balloon molly, so it might be difficult to tell whether or not she's pregnant, although it does look like it. Has her belly gotten noticeably bigger since you got her? If she's pregnant, she looks ready to pop & should drop fry very soon. You'll just have to wait and see :)
Her stomach was pretty much flat when I got her. I wish I took some pictures for comparison because now she looks HUGE!

Her stomach was pretty much flat when I got her. I wish I took some pictures for comparison because now she looks HUGE!
This is a screenshot of a video that I got on the first day I bought her. Itā€™s blurry but I think it shows just how much she has grown. I got her on March 6th. So it would be a month and just under 2 weeks between the photo attached and the initial one I shared.
F4D1B2C4-E5D1-4E4E-9C15-F909A107D9A8.jpeg

Mollies pop babies out like hotcakes, so she is probably pregnant :). Balloon Belly Mollies are GMO, and their spine is curved, which gives them the trademark balloon look. Sad, but captures attention. Infact, I am not actually sure they can breed in a tank. Now that I say this, I talked myself into saying that she is not pregnant. In this small post, I have changed my mind. You know what, I am changing my mind again. Petsmart sells them for like, 2 bucks a pop, so they are probably commercialy bred. I am also changing my mind because I found a website stating they can get pregnant ;). Pfffff! So much happened in that short paragraph. I need some Jack Daniels to clear my head :nod:

Balloon fish of all species are line bred from deformed fish to get that body shape, not genetically modified. Glo fish are genetically modified by inserting a jellyfish gene. I don't think making balloon fish can be done by inserting genes from a different animal.

Balloon fish can and do breed. They can breed with each other and 'normal' fish of the same species.

As Abaddon said, the stage of pregnancy can be difficult to determine in balloon mollies because of their body shape. Like all the common livebearers, females store sperm, and she decides when she will use a sperm packet to fertilise eggs.

Most reactions

trending

Back